Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, June 11, 2020

The Heat Goes On!

I'm already uncomfortable with the heat, but at least the evenings and mornings are cool.  Even so, when I take Rocky for a walk at 10 am or so, it's already blazing hot in the sun, with cool breezes in the shade.  Of course he always wants to stop and sniff where it's sunny!

I don't know what to do with Rocky.  He is so good most of the time, but goes ballistic when Jeannie & the girls come by.  They have been walking in the early evenings when it's a bit cooler, and they stop by for Rocky.  He gets way too joyful and excited, and even aggressive, when they come in and he jumps all over everyone.  I'm sure they don't believe me when I say he's been so good all day long.

I'm getting some tasty fruit from my cherry tree, and I've begun to water it daily.  That probably won't help it this year as there isn't really much fruit that I can reach.  I'm thinking about getting an estimate to have the tree pruned drastically this fall, and hope that might help it.  All the fruit trees on the lot are in the same boat - they've been growing for years with no maintenance or care.

Jeannie and I are still pretty much adhering to strict quarantine rules as we are both immuno-compromised, and I'm hoping we might get a slight break in July or August.  I've heard it predicted that the virus will be back with a vengeance in September.  I just need to get out and walk through a store, enjoy looking at the merchandise, and people watching.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to do it again though.

My garden is coming along and one of the squash plants is really taking off.  It looks gorgeous and is flowering profusely.  The tomatoes are a bit of a disappointment and I hope they will produce much more as they grow larger.  I think next year I will just buy tomato plants for the garden rather than grow them from seed myself.  It has been fun watching them grow, and I hope I get some results for all the love and work I've put into them.  We live and learn!   And what else do I have to do at my age but sit around and watch stuff grow!

There isn't really much of anything to write about, so I will wish you all the best, and have a good day.

11 comments:

  1. I can barely put up with my boys (cats) and I do not have to walk them... I just can't imagine having the responsibility of being a dog owner. I do not know where you get your energy.

    Glad to hear your garden is going well. I know you are proud of it as you should be. Here the heat is unbearable as well...as I type this it is 97 degrees and that is with a "cool front".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our high today in Sacramento is going to be around 97 or 98. Too hot for me, and oh, so dry!

      Delete
  2. It is really normal for Rocky to become so excited when your daughter and grandchildren come. My Labs would do this even if I had only been gone for 10 minutes. Additionally he knows he is going to have fun with them and probably go on a walk. Don't we get excited when we have something fun come our way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that, but he is so way over the top! I guess it's lab exhuberace!

      Delete
    2. Labs just want to please and show their love and happiness. They are very social and love when someone comes to see them. My girls loved the UPS gal we used to have, who by the way carried Milk Bones treats. If they were outside when she pulled up, they sat at the door of her truck because they knew she would give them some love and treats. Good memories.

      Delete
  3. Maybe the next time your grandkids come they can get a stick and whack the tree branches to get more cherrys to fall. I bet you thougth I was going to say whack Rocky LOL. Sounds like the garden is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that was my first thought when I read the words "stick" and "whack"!

      Delete
  4. Hope your tomatoes will be to your liking soon. Ours have lots of flowers but no tomatoes yet. I usually make spaghetti sauce every year and can it. Last year the harvest was below par and I am almost out of sauce. Right now it is raining but we have cloches over them which helps when the rains bring the late blight later on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, but so far they look like they are going to be smaller than normal. Of course, 2 varieties are cherry-type tomatoes, so I will hope the others grow to a larger size.

      Delete
  5. Gypsy: It sounds like Rocky thinks that Jeannie and the girls are coming to visit him. I suggest that you ask them when they come to ignore him regardless of his antics. No petting, eye contact etc. When he gets the idea he is not the one visited he should calm down. I replied to your question on our blog site...Good luck with Rocky ----

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I will definitely do that. He is so calm during the day and even on our walks today, but when someone comes into the house he becomes a different dog.

      Delete