Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, December 1, 2019

Down to the Wire!

It's hard for me to believe we've reached December, and I don't know how 2019 went by so fast.  I guess I can expect 2020 to shoot by even faster, and that trend will continue the older I get.

Rocky turned 18 months old this past week but shows no signs of maturity yet!  I love his puppy nature except when I'm not in the mood for it.

I skipped Thanksgiving this year, and really wish I could skip Christmas.  My daughter has talked me into holding the Christmas Day celebrations at my house, and to be truthful I don't have the room - we counted a possibility of 26+ people.  The thought of where I'm going to put them all is scary.  I'm not going to buy a Christmas tree and won't be swayed on that matter.  Last Christmas Jeannie decided I needed a reminder of the holiday so she gave me a tiny little artificial tree with a strand of lights on it.  That is going to be my Christmas tree this year, come hell or high water!  Can you imagine the havoc Rocky could wreak with a large tree loaded with lights and ornaments.  I've been there and done that.

I can remember Christmases past, where we had to wrap a couple of beer cases to set on top of an end table, and the tree went on top of those.  The tip nearly reached the ceiling, but all the lights and decorations were out of reach of whatever dog we had at the time.  I'm not going back to that, although I wish I could recover some of the Christmas spirit I had in those days.

 We are having some cold and rainy weather now and the rain will be with us for a while,.  You can  imagine the state of my garden .  Weeds and grass tower over the vegetable plants.

Sorry if I sound like Debbie Downer today.  I should probably pour myself a glass of wine and chill out!  Am I the only person for whom holidays have lost their lustre?   Let me know how you cope with this time of year.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I haven't been fishing in years. You are right though, it would take your mind off whatever you don't want to think about.

      Delete
  2. As we get older the holidays are more difficult to deal with I think. We cut a live tree this year out of the ditch on our road but our choice was limited due to the wildfire. The tree would be the last one left in any Christmas tree lot but it was the only one available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember the Charlie Brown Christmas special and the scrawny tree he cut down? Yours must have escaped the fire for a reason. It will be beautiful with some lights and decorations!

      Delete
  3. We shared a purchased barbecued chicken for Thanksgiving, just the two of us. And we were fine. Christmas will likely be much the same. I have NO trouble walking by all that stuff at Walmart. The ornaments were being put on shelves before Halloween. For many years we were active participants in the whole thing___lights on the roof, decorations throughout the house, etc. No more. It isn't worth the trouble to get it all out and put it away! We will just enjoy peace and quiet. As a friend says, "been there and done that enough!" I sure don't envy you all that company, and the attendant stress involved. I trust you will have plenty of help. That is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter will do most of the work. It's the stress of an introvert being in the midst of all the pandemonium that will get to me. I'll try to love it though.

      Delete
  4. Since I lost my wife and her dog is now not doing to good (Vet visit in morning), I am not doing the Christmas thing this year. It is way to commercial anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it is way too commercial and it won't ever go back to the way it was. Good luck to the pup tomorrow morning. Take care of yourself - you are in a very stressful state now and having a holiday so soon after a great loss, you need to be careful and pamper yourself.

      Delete
  5. I passed on Thanksgiving also. Didn't mind one bit. One of my daughters came by and put up the tree, I downsized ot a 3ft so I have lots of ornanments to get rid of. Christmas Eve my other daughter comes with her boys and their girlfriends. Everyone chips in with bringing food, drinks or what ever floats their boats. My one grandson and his girl take over the kitchen and the clean up those 2 are such a delight to have around. As for Christmas day it looks like I will pass on that to since my other grandson insists it's at his house and I am not going. I offered to have it here and do a breakfast but ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how we were once the "doer" of holidays and ran the show, and now we can't really get into it, and shouldn't try since it takes so much energy. I hope you can have a pleasant and easy Christmas season, and I'm sure going to try to make it as easy as I can on myself.

      Delete
  6. I have never been big on Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's. Only put up with Christmas when father was alive since he was into it.

    Skipped Thanksgiving and will do the same for the remaining holidays and one miss it one bit. Holidays are very stressful for my friends and then to host a big gathering is a lot of work. Glad your daughter is helping out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to say "and I won't miss it one bit"...need to preview it before I hit publish!

      Delete
    2. The holidays are certainly stressful this year. If it means so much to my daughter I will host Christmas at my house (and let her do the work), but this is it for me. Next year I'm not going to host anything nor am I going to anything unless I really feel like it. Christmas and all holidays were so much fun when I was a child, but that was due to my dad. He loved celebrating, and I think that he may have really believed in Santa Claus! He was the Santa Claus it turns out.

      Delete