Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, December 3, 2018

Good Boy, Rocky!

We went for a long walk yesterday morning, and starting out I told him to "heel".   I don't know how he knew what I meant because I've tried it before and it didn't work.  This time he heeled perfectly, and although I could sometimes feel tension on the leash, I would repeat "heel", plus telling him what a good boy he was, and he would ease up and walk perfectly.  The day went pretty well after that.

Donald, Jeannie and the girls came over in the late afternoon to take me to Costco, and I wondered what Rocky might do to repay me for leaving him.  He didn't do much, although he was back at the toilet paper.  The locking part of the bathroom door handle came out so the door can't click shut.  He took advantage of it, and messed up a 25 cent roll of toilet paper!  Until Steve can put a new handle on the door I need to take the paper off the roll and set it where he can't reach it if I need to go somewhere without him.

I know he desperately needs exercise, so I took him out often through the day hoping to work off some puppy energy.  Again, he was fine except when he saw a person or another dog.  A lady we passed was out working on her lemon tree and offered me some lemons.  She clearly didn't like the dog, who was jumping furiously to get to meet and greet her, so she picked 4 lemons and set them on the ground well away from the tree.  I find it so embarassing as well as infuriating, because I know how good he can be.  But I have what I have, and I don't give up.  So if anyone wonders if I will have to give up this ball of energy and wilfulness, the answer is that he's mine and I will deal with him as best as I can.

At Costco I was in the beer & wine dept. and wanted a case of beer but would have to lift it from a stack about head level to me.  Ordinarily I ask someone to help me get it down but there was no one around, so I bit the bullet and pulled that big ol' case of beer towards me and then lowered it down to the floor.  I was stunned that I could do it like I was 10 years younger!  I think my arm muscles are being strengthened by Rocky and the leash!  If only there was a way I could tie the leash around my belly and get rid of the fat there! 

So here I am on Dec. 3rd, with not much done towards getting ready for Christmas.  I don't have a present bought for anyone, although the kids should be easy enough to shop for.  The adults in the family do a "Secret Santa" where we pick a name and buy a nice gift for that person.  The fun is in act of giving, and the person opening the gift.  This is always accompanied by much laughter, especially when one of the "boys" is doing the giving or opening.  I have no idea what I will get for my person.  I'm almost broke for the month already after the trip to Costco!

Here's hoping we all have a good and productive week!

7 comments:

  1. If you have a large fenced in area to let Rocky off his leash teach him to fetch the ball. Our daughter bought what is called a Chucker which resembles a stick with a grip for balls. By using it she can throw the ball many times further then she can by hand. It gives Sanford a workout that slows him down on his walks. As the balls wear out you can buy replacements at Walmart or most Dollar stores.
    Another training technique is to reward him when he does what he is told. Even dry dog food will do the trick. Hope these tips help you and Rocky out.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know what the device - Chucker - is called. I have seen two others in the dog park who actually play with and watch their dogs closely, who use those devices. It might really work for me because i don't have the strength any more to throw the ball very far. I think we may be having a run on fairly dry days this week and I hope I can get him into the dog park.

      Delete
  2. The Chuck It comes with different types of balls. One is an orange ball similar to a tennis ball and another is an orange ball made out of rubber. My dog greatly preferred the rubber one and it lasts a really long time - years even! Rocky will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to remember to get the rubber one the next time I'm in a pet store. I know Amazon carries them but I try to avoid Amazon when I can and support local stores that treat their employees better.

      Delete
  3. Just stumbled across this little gizmo. Vantax Handheld Dog Repellent & Trainer, Anti Barking Device with LED Flashlight, Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent and Bark Stopper + Dog Trainer Device. I don't know how effective it is but if it works $10.68 is well spent.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed Gypsy, with my bad back I can no longer lift a 24 pack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending and receiving bitcoin errors in Binance
    Binance provides users with a feature with which they can buy and sell Bitcoin but on rare occasions users are unable to do it. Is this getting annoying for you? If yes, then get all your issues eradicated by getting in touch with Binance customer support team. They are the ones who have all the knowledge that is needed to rid you of your problems. You can directly get in touch with the team of Binance by dialing Binance helpline number. Call today to avail best in business services.

    More Details Jump Here:- https://www.cryptophonesupport.com/exchange/binance/

    ReplyDelete