Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, December 17, 2018

Better Days?

After several days of feeling bad as well as unhappy with Rocky's behavior, things are looking up since I got the prong collar I'm using for his walks.  He doesn't give any indication that it hurts him or is uncomfortable, but just walks very nicely most of the time.  He will give a little tug now and then, especially if he wants to stop and sniff something wonderful along the way.  We are getting along a lot better the past couple of days.

Jeannie and I went to Target and Costco last night and left him for probably 2 hours or so.  I expected to find some disaster when I returned, but evidently he held off until he heard us coming in the driveway.  My jacket was on the floor as was one of the sofa pillows, both of which I had placed out of his normal reach on the high back of a chair.  He must have climbed up into the chair and gotten them, but since no damage was done I think he waited until he heard us returning.  Good boy, Rocky!

Jeannie stayed for a while and she played with Rocky, and went through some training routines with him.  He knew what she wanted, but some times he is just stubborn, acts like he's never heard English before, etc.  I have found that to be true quite often - he ends up doing what I ask him to do, but in his own time.  I usually turn my back on him and act like I have something else to do, and then he'll comply.  I have never had such a stubborn dog!

I cannot believe it is this close to Christmas and I haven't bought one single item.  I have had it with Christmas as well as other holidays that are mostly celebrated to make money for the stores and corporations that own them. 

We just got back from our second long walk today.  It had rained a lot yesterday and last night, but the sun is shining today and it seems warmer outside than it does in my house!

Jeannie told me that she has been in contact with the man who is renting the duplex that I might be interested in.  He and his wife are expecting their 1st child in a few months, and they want to move back to be closer to their families.  He said that it would be okay if we came to see the place the week after Christmas, so that's when I will no doubt make up my mind about it.  I will have a lot of work to do in the first few months of the year in cleaning up this place and making minor repairs.  I think I will miss the storage in this place.  There is much more than in most houses or the later model mobile homes.

I hope you are all doing well and looking forward to the holidays if you celebrate them. 

12 comments:

  1. Some Labs have a real stubborn streak. I had one Yellow Lab who was stubborn. From her line, one of her daughters (who my friends had) and a great-great granddaughter (that I had) were the same. It was in the genes. My Black Lab from a different line was the most obedient dog you ever wanted to have. What you must never forget with Rocky is that you are in charge and he is to follow your commands. He cannot be allowed to run the show. You are the Master. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a guy in my neighborhood who is known to be a wonder with training dogs. He took Rocky for a walk this morning and we've agreed that he will come by at around 9am every morning this week and see what he can do with him. I can only hope.

      Delete
  2. Can you post a picture of it, I've never heard of a prong collar or seen a dog wearing one. Does he wear it day and night ? Does he enjoy running at the dog park ? Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken some photos of it on my jitterbug cell phone, but I have to forward them to my son-in-law so he can send them back to me in a .jpg format so I can publish them on my blog. Check in tomorrow and I hope to post them.

      Delete
    2. It is a torture device - much like wrapping barb wire around her dog's neck. Soon Rocky will associate walks with pain & in addition to breaking his spirit - no loving dog owner would ever use a prong collar. Heartbreaking - wish someone could save this poor dog.

      Delete
    3. Cactus Flower you are very wrong. Any dog I have used a prong collar on was always happy to go for a walk and learned very quickly how to walk properly on a leash. Usually it doesn’t take long before they don’t need it.

      Delete
  3. I have reached the age where I don't do holidays and dang, it is a lot easier that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having four kids in their 40's plus a lot of grandkids, I really have to stay in the game!

      Delete
  4. Glad you are using the prong or pinch collar. It is the only way I can walk my stubborn boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really works like a charm. He's been a lot better today which is probably partly because I'm much happier with him and he responds with better behavior. I know that the truth is that at nearly 7 months old and being a lab, he probably has another year or so to reach a bit of maturity. But I see a glimmer of hope and I'll hang on to that as long as I can.

      Delete
  5. My dad had a black lab and he was the best dog ever. The someone brought him a chocolate lab and that dog darn near drove my dad nuts he was awful and would never listen and he never seemed to learn. My dad finally had to rehome him. We even think Bo the black lab was happy to see him go to. That is really nice for the man to want to help you with Rocky.

    I'm with you on holidays and I also have to stay with it because of all the kids. But I got a little push this year and finally did the decorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you can really tell about a puppy, although you should be able to judge by the parents. I think he has the potential to be a really good dog if I don't screw up with my part of it.

      I will go along with the gifts for the kids, as well as the adult Secret Santa, but I don't decorate my house at all.

      Delete