Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, September 16, 2016

Weekend!

I'm always ambivalent about the weekend as every day is like a weekend to me.  I have a few appointments and have to make sure I get to them on time, but most of my days are my own to choose.

I made a trip to the dollar store today, and had a list of about 6 items.  While shopping I heard a cashier who was ringing someone up, "That will be $29.++", and I wondered how you could buy $29 worth of stuff at the dollar store.  I was pleasantly surprised when my bill came to just over $11 as I put several items into my cart that weren't on the list.  There is one thing I can return - a plastic vase that looks like cut glass, that I bought to hold my paintbrushes.  The vase is too tall for many of the shorter brushes, so I found one of my mason pint jars which seems to work very well, although I have one very long handled brush that might tip the whole thing over.   I'll just keep looking - if I bought coffee in cans I would have the perfect brush holder, but my coffee beans come in bags.

I watched another Alaska weather report from last night, which comes to me the next day.  Not a single word about a 500 ft wave or a collapse of anything.    It's odd how the USGS seems to pick and choose what they tell us - they often don't report on an earthquake that is of enough magnitude to shake bricks off of chimneys.  And on the ones they do report, the magnitude they originally put up is invariably reduced by several points - like they don't want anyone to know the true details.  I'm suspicious as I've taken note of a lot of instances lately where details are ignored or simply not mentioned, like they never happened.  No doubt a lot of these events are caused by man's activities.

 Dinner is over and it is still a long while until I will have my ice cream, so I'm sitting here with a bag of chocolate chips.  I thought I bought the dark chocolate but I find they are semi-sweet.  Oh well, I'll eat anything at this point.   I've thought about drinking a beer but I' ve gone this long since my dental work that I can wait a few more days.  At this point if I had TV I would turn it on.  Normally I don't miss it at all as there so few programs I watched, and I'm surprised I still think about it at all.

I can't remember if the harvest moon is tonight or tomorrow night.  Last night it was positively gorgeous!  I hope you all get a good look at it this weekend and have your cameras ready.  I need to rig up something to set the camera on so I don't move it at all while snapping photos.  I have never been good at photographing the night sky, except for a short time when I lived in North Carolina and actually read (and followed) the instructions for taking pictures at night.   The most beautiful things and people in my life are forever in my memories.

8 comments:

  1. I have spent that much in a dollar store. When I stock up on fruit and veggies but also other things that are so much cheaper than the big stores. They have a cleaning product called Awesome and I love it especially the window cleaner and the after shower spray for the walls.
    I forgot about the moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Dollar store has some canned and frozen foods, but no fresh foods. I have so many places to get those - at the farmers' market, Costco, or BelAir. I've seen Awesome products but have never tried them.

      Delete
  2. I have found that my watercolor brushes do much better stored flat right after washing them clean. Form the bristles into the proper shape and lay them on a horizontal surface with the bristles unsupported. That is what I have found. It is not THE WAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Barney. The art instructor said nothing about care of brushes, etc. I think everyone in the class has been going off and on for a long time, and they just do their own thing. I get a lot of individual time from the instructor but there are so many basics that she hasn't covered with me.

      Delete
  3. We try to remember when it's the week-end so we can avoid the stores. We shop at the Dollar Store but we usually don't spend more than 5 or 6 dollars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one exception to shopping on a weekend is when I can go to Costco with Jeannie. It is just fun to shop there with someone. I usually spend between $5 and $10 at the dollar store - it is very near where I live - have to pass it when I go to the gym, so I can drop in any time and just buy an item or two. I always get more than I go in there for.

      Delete
  4. Had to go look at my Dollar Tree receipt...spent $15.00 last week. While I have never spent $29 plus dollars, I have come close but at the .99 cents Only Stores in Houston. In Del Rio, the Mexican shoppers from Ciudad Acuna buy cart fulls of stuff...though I am sure they must re-sale them in Mexico.

    Have you tried going to the recycling center in your town? Typically during the school year they save the coffee cans for the teachers but I lucked out during the summer and was able to score four cans. Only down side was that the lids on two were trashed.

    The moon was beautiful last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I just could find a coffee can I don't need the lid! I will have to look in the very back of my cabinets - maybe I have some kind of old can that will hold my brushes.

      Delete