Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Cameras

I have two cameras, the smaller one for which the battery compartment door doesn't always stay closed, and another one that I can't get to work at all.   Neither of them is that old!   An extensive search online and in the stores makes me wonder if I can buy a point & shoot camera with a viewfinder.  The viewfinder is a requirement, and I find absolutely no cameras that have them any more.   If I hold the viewfinder up to my eye, it is possible that I can see what I'm photographing and get it fairly straight, whereas holding the camera at arms' length and trying to see what I'm taking just doesn't work.  I may end up going to a camera fix-it place and see if I can have one or both of them repaired.  It's discouraging because I still like to take pictures, even if I can't take good ones these days.  For the record I didn't even look closely at expensive cameras to see if they are missing the viewfinder as well.

I stopped taking the eye supplements (the expensive ones touted by the guy on HSN) - yesterday morning was the last one I took, and today I can say there has been no additional bruising.  I received the supplements I ordered from Costco containing lutein and the name I can't pronounce (zeaxan....).  I took the first one this afternoon, only one a day being called for.  I hope I can see an improvement, or at least no more visual problems or loss over the 140 days of capsules in the bottle.

A search online didn't say much about the diuretic effect on macular degeneration and one doctor even wrote that it didn't have an effect at all.  He may be weighing a medically prescribed diuretic rather than one that just happens to occur in a vitamin supplement.   I had a scary incident driving to Jeannie's yesterday which I'm attributing to the effects of those pills; I didn't drive much today but had no problem when I did, but I'm calling at least a temporary break on driving children in my car.

I went to Walmart to see if I could find the tape for hanging pictures on the wall.  I looked around at other things and was totally amazed at how many items I stopped at that had no price shown whatsoever!  Of course they don't usually tag the item individually these days, but the shelves were mostly missing price tags for many things I was interested in.  I know, I could carry an item to the nearest scanner placed on posts around the store, but I shouldn't have to.  If it had been just one item I might consider it, but this was multiple items and I could see nearby shelves were missing prices from random items. 

 I managed to get myself to the gym to walk before going anywhere else this morning.  Sometimes I look forward to it and other times I dread it.  I usually feel so good for going that I wonder why I fought the idea to begin with.

I bought parchment paper yesterday and made some cookies this morning.  What a difference the paper makes and I wonder why I've never tried it before!   The cookies come up from the pan very easily and there is no clean-up, which is perfect for a lazy person like me!

13 comments:

  1. I have a view finder on my camera but it wasn't cheap. Mine is a Canon Power Shot I don't know if the other one has it or not since I never use them. Hope they can fix your camera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using the viewfinder since I just do better holding the camera close and bracing it against me. When I try to use the big screen I always get blurring. I may have only 2 choices: get my cameras repaired and continue with my old ones that should outlive me, or else buy a used refurbishes camera as I don't think even the expensive cameras now have viewfinders. What could be the problem with the mfr leaving it on and giving the user a choice.

      Delete
  2. Did the eye supplements you were taking cause the bruising?
    Been considering taking some.
    Also, bravo to you for going to the gym !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to go back and find the web site I was looking at yesterday, which listed some non-medical supplements that can cause thinning of the blood, which can cause bruising. The site I was looking for specifically mentioned that green tea and green tea extracts were thought to thin the blood. I realized the particular supplement I had been taking for just a few weeks had lots of green tea extracts, so I quit taking them. When the bruises clear up then I can notice if I get many new ones. Easy bruising is also age-related due to thinning of the skin.

      I received the supplements I ordered from Costco that contain only two main ingredients, lutein and zeaxanthin, about $21 for 140 capsules, 140 day supply, (compared to about $80+ for the 180 capsules from HSN, which is a 90 day supply). The PreserVision AREDS formula prescribed by my eye surgeon contains some lutein & zeax., but not very much. I am hoping to see some slight difference in 140 days from the TruNature brand from Costco. I'll take the PreserVision until they are gone, and then just take the one capsule.

      I feel good about it every time I drag myself to the gym!

      Delete
  3. I don't hold my camera at arm's length to take pictures. It has a small view finder but I never use that just the nice big window to take my pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned above, I never get a good photo using the window. I'm sure it has a lot to do with my vision - I can see much better through the viewfinder and I can hold the camera steadier.

      Delete
  4. Gypsy, I don't like the newer ones with the larger window for view finding either so I buy a used Kodak Easyshare online. The model is DX4330 with 10 times zoom capability and it takes wonderful pictures! Usually I can find a good one online at Ebay for around $25. We've had 3 of them so far. Dropped one, drowned one, and now I'm on my third one! Might want to give that a try. Ann M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been considering looking for a refurbished model. Thanks for sharing your experiences with them, and I will take a look on Ebay.

      Delete
  5. I agree a viewfinder is pretty important, but in compact cameras they sure are hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say they are just about impossible to find unless you get a used/refurbished camera.

      Delete
  6. I don't think they make viewfinders in compact cameras any more or at least I couldn't find one. No one complained when they stopped doing it apparently. Love parchment paper. It's a must for those of us doing an oil free diet. Anxious to hear what you think of lutein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember if this is my 2nd or 3rd day with lutein. So far no new bruises! That is something you would never think of when using products with green tea extract, or drinking green tea. It might not be bad for a younger person, but aging skin is much thinner to begin with and I still have fading purple spots all over my arms & hands.

      Delete
  7. I just wrote a comment and it dissappeared before I could even publish it! Guess it went to comment heaven :-(

    ReplyDelete