Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

It's magic!

I've written several times about the book "The Magic Art of Tidying Up", which I finished and returned to the library.  The sequel was waiting for me yesterday, "Spark Joy", and I've read a few pages of it.

One of the things the author stresses is how to fold and place your clothes in the drawer.  I have a lot of T-shirts, which I stack and shove into whatever drawer has space.  I have matching closets on opposite sides of the bedroom, each with rod space above and 4 large and 2 small drawers below.  If I was looking for a T-shirt or a pair of jeans I usually had to open several drawers to find the one I want.  Although I didn't think I'd like the book's suggested way of putting clothes away, it has provided me with a lot of extra space.

I haven't even started to do the "tidying up" in the manner suggested by the author, but I have been doing a lot of laundry and that is as good a time as any to pick out things I probably won't wear again, and to begin storing the remaining items in a space where I can find them easily.

Here are a few photos showing my T-shirts and capri pants.  My jeans, sweat pants, etc. are on hangars which means less wrinkles and more drawer space.

The first photo is out of sequence and I don't know how it ended at the top of the download, but it's just a picture of a rainy day, and you can see the dog park across the street.  The former view was so much better without the fence and gave the feeling of open space.  The second & third photos are of my new method of putting my clothes away.  They are supposed to be arrayed from light colors up to dark, and I probably need to do a little reorganizing on that score.  (Click pictures to enlarge)



   
It's a lovely day today and will be even warmer tomorrow - up to a balmy 75!

I made a trip to Costco this morning where I filled up the gas tank at 2.279/gal.  The last time it was down around $1.82 or so.  This is our "summer blend" which is supposedly cleaner during the hot summer, but which costs outrageously more per gallon.

I also got the ice cream and whipped cream for the St. Pat's day milkshakes, and found some organic weed killer (2 spray bottles per pack).  I've emptied nearly an entire bottle on the weeds, and if it doesn't work to my satisfaction I will return the unused bottle and get a full refund.  

12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing the information on how to organize drawers with the photos of what you have done. I have a nightstand I've loved to hate since 1979. It is small and everything gets jumbled really fast. This gives me some good ideas. I especially like how your tee shirts are arranged so you can see what is there and not have to move everything to get the one you want. The ice cream sounds delicious. I'm Scots/Irish and my favorite color is green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet. Time will tell how well this syste works. The author isn't necessarily fond of hanging clothes on hangars, but I have the space and I really keep things better organized by hanging pants, blouses, etc. She also recommends folding socks and storing them on the side, which I've also been doing. It's easy to see at a glance what I have. Getting around to the papers and junk like that is going to be the supreme test. I have several of those end tables/night stands, and I think we have the same problems.

      Delete
    2. So I'm not the only one with those pesky papers . . .

      Delete
    3. I'm drowning in paper1 I'm planning on tackling them though, and Marie Kondo has so many good suggestions on how to handle it that I'm thinking about buying her book for my own. (I read the public library copy).

      Delete
  2. I went to Smart and Final today and picked up 8 gallons of Vinegar and 2 lbs of salt. This will make 8 gallons of "Organic Weed Killer" for the cost of $19.00

    The only problem was when I picked up Liam from School he said "Ew! You smell like Vinegar!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how I've really tried with vinegar and salt, and then Ortho weed killer. Neither one of them has really been effective, so when I saw this stuff I figure there's no harm in trying it. As we both know, nothing is going to work without tearing up the yard and doing it right with a heavy duty barrier and new rocks.

      Delete
  3. Wow do your drawers look tidy. My t-shirts seem to have multiplied themselves so I think I may have to try to check this book out on kindle from my library back in Virginia. Really hoping this does the trick on your weeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Sherry. The idea is by folding the shirt or other garment and standing it "on end" you can see at a glance exactly what you have. I think I'm going to be more inclined to keep like items together, rather than just stuffing things into an available space.

      Delete
  4. I hang my t-shirts, capri's and jeans. I keep sweat pants and capri sweat pants in the drawers works better for me since I don't have a lot of drawer space. But your drawers look so nice and neat. Paper OH I have way to much and I really need to start shredding soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I counted 26 t-shirts in the drawer, plus a couple in the laundry basket, plus several in my "donate" bag. No way I could keep them on hangars. The capris work well i the drawers but the long pants are best on the hangar. I will no doubt be doing a lot of tweaking on this system, but so far I think it's going to work well for me.

      Delete
  5. Your t-shirts are very well organized. My problem is that I have no drawers and little to no closet space at mother's like I do in my house in Houston.

    After the NBA playoffs I want to check out that book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clearly, I have never read a book about organizing drawers or maybe anything else:)

    ReplyDelete