Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, March 13, 2016

It was a dark and stormy night!

Hey, that sounds like a good opening line for a great novel I should begin writing!

Last night, or early this morning (it's hard to figure out when it was because of the stupid time change), I woke up to the rain hitting the house in sheets and the wind howling, and it actually made me wonder if something terrible was going to happen.  Fortunately I like my sleep and was able to drop back off almost immediately.  I figured either something is going to happen or it won't, and worrying won't change it.  I mentally blessed the house and dropped back into my dreams.

I haven't done much lately - my son and his two girls dropped by one afternoon, I drove my sister to a medical appointment one day, etc., etc.  Last night Jeannie and I went to the gym and I enjoyed a good workout, although I didn't push myself up to the max.  I haven't been exercising a lot lately and I don't want to suffer even a minor injury.

Today it has been raining heavily but the forecast for the next week or two looks pretty good, eventually climbing up into the 70's with sun shining.  I have three baskets of laundry waiting for me to be able to take it across the street to dry.  I will probably just use the dryer to speed things up, although I might end up taking the clothespins along with me.  I do love line drying my laundry. 

I cross the American River when I visit Jeannie, go to the chiropractor or to my sister's house, etc.  Over the past few years I have watched the water drop so low that islands have formed and even trees growing across the river in the lowest spots.  Now with all this rain the water has broken through the obstructions and I can see a free flowing river.  Also, with Folsom Lake at 125% of normal they have been releasing water to make room for the continuing rains.  Just before the snow melt starts the reservoir will undoubtedly be lowered again and our rivers and creeks will become torrents.  It's just a shame we can no longer count on good rains in the future.  I doubt we will see another season like this until the next El Nino, and that is if Central CA is lucky enough to be in the "goldilocks zone".

12 comments:

  1. I'm just hoping for some sunny warm weather once my daughter and grandgirls arrive for a visit next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep my fingers crossed and focus on sunshine at Jojoba Hills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we first moved here to the Houston, TX area, we got a shower every day at five pm. That no longer is the case. I don't believe we get near the rain we used to. I guess the only thing we can count on is change, and that includes the climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, everything is changing. I don't hold out much hope that the rainy season will be back with us next year, but who knows, if they spray enough chemtrails we might get some, although who knows what is in it!

      Delete
  4. I so envy your ability to sleep thorugh a storm. We have been getting a lot of rain but it is really needed. Do not look forward to the ensuing mosquitoes we will have shortly because of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying to learn to meditate by emptying my mind. Sitting up awake it can be more difficult at times, but if I'm lying down and close my eyes, and then clear my mind so that no images and dialogue aren't running around, I go to sleep immediately.

      Delete
  5. I love the sound of rain and it puts me right back to sleep as well. Lets hope the rain doesn't go away completely and you all have another drought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your attitude about worrying. I know that is true but my mind won't shut up. I'd sure like to know how to empty my mind. I've tried all kinds of things. Never could learn to meditate. My mind is a professional worrier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your attitude about worrying. I know that is true but my mind won't shut up. I'd sure like to know how to empty my mind. I've tried all kinds of things. Never could learn to meditate. My mind is a professional worrier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emptying the mind is difficult at first and takes practice. I still have to work at it after about 5 minutes (I usually aim for 20-25 min.). Years ago I got pretty good at it but then let it go; it was easier to get back into recently and only took me 3 or 4 weeks (allow for 6 at first). They say it is a very good thing to do on a daily basis; I can't really tell that it affects me one way or another, but I'm going to keep at it.

      Delete
  8. I guess the weather patterns on going to be changing long term, and we just have to get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get used to it, but I think of the old days when it was more predictable.

      Delete