Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Heat - more of the same -- UPDATE!

There were a few things I need to go out for this morning, but I got a msg from my daughter 1st thing asking me if I wanted to go to the Birkenstock store this afternoon.  Of course I want to go - it's downtown (but not in the heart of downtown) and I don't drive there anymore.  They carry other brands besides Birkies, and I hope I can find something comfortable that fits.  She has an appointment with her chiropractor this afternoon, also downtown, so we will go to the Birk store after her appt.  I will take my crossword puzzle book along to pass the time.  At my age, as probably some of you can relate with, deterioration in mental faculties is always a worry in the back of my mind, and I test myself often.   Very difficult crossword puzzles are one way I test, and when I finish a particularly difficult one, you'd laugh to hear me congratulate myself out loud - "Great job, Marty".

I didn't do much this morning as it was already hot when I got out of bed a little before 7am.  After breakfast I did get out the new 50' hose I bought yesterday at True Value Hdwe, and watered the tree and bushes in front of the house.  The tree is a crepe myrtle and I think it's gasping for water.  I don't know what the bushes are but they look pretty sad also.  I don't mind paying for the water, but paying for sewage & all the extras they charge when the water is just going into the ground really irritates me.

I had a difficult time finding True Value yesterday since it is in the back of a large and spread out commercial area on Folsom Blvd. - there is a La Quinta and a big restaurant on the site, as well as a tire service business.  The hardware store was hidden away but I finally found it.  I like the store and it's staff very much.  It is my kind of store - small enough to be attentive to the customer (although it didn't have the traffic that Home Depot or Lowe's gets).    I walked all of the aisles including the ones I wouldn't buy anything in - construction supplies, plumbing, etc., to get an idea on the store's layout and what they carry.  It is easy enough to get to and very close to my home, so I'm sure I will be shopping there frequently and skipping the giant chains.  I'm a small-town type of girl and like to shop that way.  Prices are good there and there was also a very good sale going on.

I may update later and post of photo of my new shoes, if I can find any to buy! 

UPDATE:
 The Birkenstocks I've been wearing have become loose and I have trouble keeping them on my feet, walking, etc.  The first thing I did was to mention that fact to the saleswomen, who punched another hole in each strap, and tightened the shoes on my feet.  What a difference.

I found several pairs I wanted to try on and one felt great and fit very well with the sales person tightening them so they would stay on firmly.

Jeannie then tried on several pairs of shoes while I sat quietly, not letting myself walk around looking at more shoes.  I finally couldn't help myself and walked over to a sale rack, tried on a pair and bought them as well.  I don't know how long it's been since I bought myself two pairs of shoes at a time!

The ones with black straps are the Birkies.  I couldn't decide which photo to publish so I'm showing you both of them.



Jeannie bought a pair of shoes as well, and it was a fun outing for me, and I think for her as well.  My family will be gathering at the home of my brother & s-i-l, parents of my late nephew, Brian, on Saturday.   Mike and his family have flown in from NY today and should be in Sacramento tomorrow, then we will all drive to the Bay area for the celebration of Brian's life.  I will have a pair of new shoes to wear!

12 comments:

  1. Feel sorry for you with the heat and your plants. Everybody suffers when it's too hot. Hope you find some shoes you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I survived today's heat and bought two pairs of shoes!

      Delete
  2. I have never learned to enjoy crossword puzzles. Maybe I should try them to keep my brian cells moving:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love words, and really enjoy challenging crossword puzzles. I hope it keeps my mind in a fairly healthy state.

      Delete
  3. I used to do crossword puzzles when I was younger but have a hard time doing them in english so I gave it up. Keep my mind agile by figuring out my knitting patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never knit or crochet no matter how hard I tried. We each have our own areas of expertise, don't we.

      Delete
  4. I love crepe myrtle, the flowers are so delicate. I used to wear Birks all the time but the last pair I bought the leather was really to stiff and no mater what I tried they would not soften up and I gave them away. And the dress shoe is really nice and now you have something to wear with your little sun dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the crepe myrtle flowers are pretty, but they sure leave a mess all over the place. It's almost like I have 2 new pairs of Birks because just making it possible to tighten the straps on my old ones make them almost like a new pair. I had them resoled about 6 months ago and thought maybe that was the problem with them, but it seems the straps just stretched a bit and needed tightening.

      Delete
  5. New shoes, so fun!
    I like the gold ones best but comfort is most important . 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cute and I will enjoy wearing them once in a while, but nothing can compare to the comfort of a Birkenstock sandal, that is, if they fit your foot. My daughter can't wear them at all.

      Delete
  6. Nice looking shoes...always is an emotional uplift to get new shoes or even socks. Enjoy.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is luxury! I wore a new pair yesterday, and have on another new pair today!

      Delete