Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Why did the turkeys cross the road?

I was driving home from the gym on a 4-lane street (with a 5th center lane for making left-hand turns), and stopped at a red light.  When the light turned green, a group of three turkeys started across the street in front of us, no doubt coming up from the river and the neighborhood where we lived in the 1980's.  The were about 3 cars in front of me and we all just sat through the green light allowing the turkeys to cross the street.  A car came barreling through in the right-hand lane (the speed limit IS 40mph) and made a very quick screeching stop when he saw the 3 turkeys.  We all watched the "turkey trot" while they scurried to safety and a much less traveled side street.  Ya gotta love nature!

I needed to get a new paper shredder as my old one jammed and can't be fixed.  Looking online I saw a number of models available at Walmart, including the cheapie $12 model I prefer - you just set it on top of a wastebasket and shred your paper into the basket.  Of course when I got to Walmart they had two models available - I suppose the others must be ordered online - so I ended up with a $25+ shredder.  I hope it works as well as the old one I had for years.  I'm going to go try it out, so I'll say "bye for now".   And keep a lookout for turkeys!

8 comments:

  1. We stop for ducks and deer but I don't think we've ever had to stop for turkeys. Glad they made it safely. Good luck with your shredder. We don't bring ours with us during the summer so I have quite a pile to take care of when we get back to AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been without a shredder for so long and have accummulated quite a pile. I had to stop because the red light came on indicating it would overheat. I needed a break anyway. I love it that so much wildlife lives close. I don't go down to the walkway by the river anymore unless I'm with one of my sons, so I miss seeing all the birds and animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had shredders for years. They come in quite handy, especially when I was running a design engineering company out of my home. And yes, I was the whole company. . . (grin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had several shredders, all of them the small ones you set on top of the wastebasket and shred directly into it. This new model seems to do a good job, and it comes with it's own "basket" to catch all the shredded paper. I've filled a big trash bag this afternoon!

      Delete
  4. No shredder for me, we burn all of our sensitive stuff in the fireplace. In the summer I save it in bags to burn it in the winter. All is gone already because we had to have the fire going for a bit of extra heat. Works for us. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a fireplace but I don't think they are common in mobile homes. So I shred!

      Delete
  5. Cute turkey story. I like a shredder that can handle at least ten pages, it goes a lot quicker that way:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I used a shredder like that was before I retired. I sure don't want to pay for that now.

      Delete