Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Rode Hard and Put Away Wet

That describes how I've been feeling the past week, and  yesterday was a particularly bad day for me.  Ever since having a stent implant to open a blocked artery in 2004, I have been on a regimen of daily aspirin which has caused severe stomach discomfort.  A few months ago I switched to a generic for Plavix and things were better for a while.

Now I'm having real discomfort and pain, to the point of nearly going to the emergency room yesterday to make sure I wasn't having a heart attack.  I didn't think that was the case but there are so many symptoms that women sometimes have that are different.

I decided I was just having the stomach pain that is associated with use of blood thinners.  That pain radiates out to the chest, back, ribs, and who knows where else.  I  didn't want to take a chance on being kept in a hospital because I had an appointment with my eye doctor this morning!

I'm glad I saw Dr. G. as he always makes me feel better, even though my vision seems to be worsening.  According to all the tests and examination of my eyes there is no sign of any problems, but what I'm experiencing is probably due to early symptoms of macular degeneration.  The worst is that after having my eyes dilated I realized I hadn't brought my sunglasses with me and had to drive home in bright sunlight.  Thankfully I made it ok.

Tomorrow morning I'm having a series of blood tests to see if the B-12 levels, thyroid, etc., could be causing my extreme fatigue.  I have been anemic for at least a year and I'm sure it's because of internal bleeding caused by blood thinners.  What I won't do is have any kind of invasive tests.  I looked up the old upper G.I. series that they used to do, and it seems that the test is still done on occasion, and at much less cost than swallowing a camera.  Of course they can't see the detail that they might from a camera, but as long as I live I will never have anything put down my throat.

I'm sorry to write a post that is such a downer, but wanted to explain why I won't be posting as much until this clears up.  Usually it comes and goes, but for some reason it isn't going this time.  

     

13 comments:

  1. You have to be careful with generic drugs. Sometimes they work as well as the prescribed but in a lot of cases they don't do what they are suppose to and in some rare cases they can be harmful. I take a generic blood pressure medication, but I know it works most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon. I have to take prevacid for stomach protection from my meds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get some answers in a hurry. We walk such a tightrope trying to guess whether we're better with the consequences of taking the meds, or doing without them. I worry about you when you don't post; nearly always, when you are happy and feeling fine, you do post. Please do keep us "posted". We need to know that you're all right. Will be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim has to take Nexium every day to counter the effects of his daily aspirin. I sure hope it's something simple like you need B-12 shots. The nurse taught me how to give them to myself every month in my leg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds so terrible. I hope it isn't early macular degeneration. You are such an active person, how can you have these niggling difficulties. I too hope things improve for you. I'll miss your posts and comments but understand how difficult things are to do when you don't feel well. Wishing you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure hope you get some relief soon. Hopefully they can fix you up without any invasive tests. My doctor has me on various non drug supplements to keep me healthy. I like that a lot better than strong prescription drugs.

    Hang in there:))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, was hoping to read the wine and chocolate would make you feel like running a mile... thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you find out something simple is causing you such distress. But please don't rule out invasive tests. Testing is how they found out what was causing me the same kind of "heart attack" type pain a year ago January.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gypsy... hope you're feeling much much better ... thinking of you.

    I was about to write you privately and also to share this goofy video that Juiia sent me! thought of you immediately ...

    maybe a smile? ... ;)

    http://youtu.be/SleYHOcLjOg

    ReplyDelete

  10. health issues .. not fun.
    Stomach pain from blood thinners.... awful
    fatigue... is the pits.

    Maybe you would like to read this nutritionists blog

    She is usually a fun person, is straight forward and very keen on promoting healthy eating of whole, real foods. She doesn't recommend red wine ... I do, but she is very happy with dark chocolate, the darker the better. Have a look and see what you think. http://www.marmaladeandmileposts.com/

    We are home and trying to get into my normal schedule. Thanks for all your comments. I haven't been good at responding to comments but I do appreciate every one and look for them after each time I post.

    Blessings







    hi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gypsy, I haven't forgotten about you really. We have been so busy here I barely have time to do a blog. I was sorry to read you are feeling so bad.
    I had an endoscopy done a year ago and it was a piece of cake. They sedated me and I didn't even know they did it. I hope they can find out what is making you feel so bad. And I hope you feel up to going to Lassen. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, know how you feel about that garden hose with a camera tied on the end procedure. Had that done a couple times back in the early 80's & I think I am still gagging from having that thing rammed down my throat, I agree, no more!!!!

    ReplyDelete