Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Update, Part 3, June 10-June 15, 2009

Wednesday, June 10:
I moved over to a pull through site in Loop B, and since I hope I won’t be here long I decided not to unhitch. The 5ver is not level, and I should do something about that though.

Something has changed with my vision since the cataract surgery, and I’m having a difficult time lining up the hitch with the kingpin. I always backed the truck using the rearview mirror and watching the alignment, but now it seems I’m always a little bit off, requiring me to pull forward, back up again, several times. I also realize I don’t like anyone watching me while I’m trying to do it.

I definitely want a smaller rig, although I don’t think a smaller 5th wheel is the answer, nor do I want to have to tow another vehicle, which leaves out any Class C except a small one. I’m not sure what the answer is, but I won’t find it while I’m so isolated and without access to phone or internet. I also realize I love the isolated existence here. National parks are going to be much favored by me in the future, at least for staying more than a few days. They are so far off the beaten track that it’s hardly worth it for an overnight. Even with the lack of electric hookups, I still prefer the quiet and relative peace and beauty in a place like Lassen. It is a huge surprise to me that there are so many tent campers with no phones or TV, and I’ve noticed that only a few RV’s have satellite. You can just feel the stress of the world seeping out of yourself, the pace of life slowing down, and the beauty of non-man-made structures becoming a reality. While some might prefer a formal garden, a soaring skyscraper, or the energy of cities and commerce, I think I want to get as far away from that as I can for as long as I can. I already dread the culture shock of returning to Sacramento in July for my granddaughter’s coming into the world.

Yay! Fred, of Fred’s Mobile RV Service, arrived and worked on my generator until it is now running perfectly. He also went up on the roof to see if he could tell why I had a leak in the bedroom overhead, and found two places just above the leak where the rubber roof was torn by tree limbs. He cleaned that part of the roof, dried the wood under the rubber with a heat gun, patched it with Eternabond and caulk, and now that worry is taken care of. He also fixed the electric connection in the truck where I had started to pull away after unhitching but forgot to unplug, so now that it is working properly. He also checked a few other things and helped me to level the rig. Considering what he has repaired and checked I consider the price to be more than fair. Last time he was here he replaced the switch at the entry so I can now turn the lights on and off, but didn’t even charge me for that. Another thing, during his first visit we talked about our Ford F-350’s - we have identical trucks except his is 1997 and mine is 2002. I mentioned that the light stayed on indicating a door was open, so I just learned to ignore it. He told me to clean the latch on the rear door with silicone spray, which I did, and it now works fine - no more warning light. We both have the extended cab model where the rear door is not full size, and must be closed for the front door to latch into it. If any readers have experienced this problem, for goodness sake don’t take it to a Ford dealer. Just spray the latch, work it in, and you’re good to go.


Thursday, June 11:
After all the delays I think I will finally be going to my work site tomorrow morning. I had a few items issued to me when I arrived, uniforms, job and park information, etc., but this evening I got the rest of it, and my rig will be a bit heavier driving over to Butte Lake in the morning. I have the radio, extra batteries, all the forms and maps, supplies, sidearm - just kidding, no sidearm - keys, signs, flag, and just about everything I will need. Lee will meet me there with the golf cart, gasoline for the cart, extra propane, and all the heavy stuff, and help me get settled into my site. I will have a lot of organizing to do, with my own stuff plus the Park’s. This comes just in time to prevent a case of terminal laziness on my part! At last I can “unpack” my dishes and items I use daily, rather than having to unwrap the towel from a coffee cup or glass when I want to use it. And I can set up my desktop computer instead of having to use this horrible laptop exclusively.


Saturday, June 13:
I got settled in at my camp host site yesterday. Lee, and David who will be my “partner” helped me get set up. The ranger will not be here full time, so I will rely on David a lot as contact with the outside world. I made a round of the campsite yesterday and got the basic information I need, and have already been around once this morning. I think there is at least one site that I need to straighten out in my records - the paperwork can get confusing, but I’m not too worried about mistakes the first few days.

I tried to turn the genny on this morning and got quite a scare when it wouldn’t start. I just made the rounds with my hair wet (hearing my mother tell me in my mind “You’re going to catch pneumonia going out with wet hair.” As usual, I just ignored her advice. I tried starting it again when I came back, and lo and behold! Power! I dried my hair and all is right with Mom again.

Lee brought me the news from the Fee Office yesterday that my daughter had called and said her labor might have to be induced sooner than the July 3 date that was set. Her doctor will be back on Monday so Jeannie will find out what is going on and let me know. I will leave immediately if I need to, but I’m going to be with her when she delivers. I drove back down to Old Station (about 17 miles) yesterday afternoon and got a call through to her. It took about 3 tries because the call kept breaking off, but we were finally able to hold a decent but short conversation.

After some really big storms with great light and sound effects, the weather is beautiful this morning. I think I will go out and try to figure out how and where I want to set my host table, plus set up the screen tent for my picnic table. David told me that the chipmunks will be at it, no matter what I do.

Today was my first day wearing the uniform, and I must say I do look good in that uniform. If I decide to return next year I’m going to get some decent uniform pants though - these Gloria Vanderbilts are not made to hold a bulky radio on one’s belt. There are so few belt loops that the radio pulls the loop way down, and they are low rise pants to begin with so they don’t have far to go. With the aging population and all those baby boomers out there, where is the clothing made specifically for our shapes as well as our dignity?

But back to the radio, I have a renewed respect for law enforcement officers who must not only carry a radio, but a weapon, handcuffs, etc. It’s a wonder they don’t fall under the weight of it all.

Another thing I found - when I first got the uniform shirts I tried one on to check the fit. They are size medium and although they are a bit large, I just can’t believe I can wear a small, so I kept them. They really aren’t TOO big. When I buttoned up the shirt this morning I realized they issue men’s shirts to everyone, and IT BUTTONS ON THE WRONG SIDE!

One of the backcountry rangers is here for a few days. We visited a couple of times already and I really like him a lot. Philosophically we are pretty close.

I marinated chicken to cook on the grill this evening but the rain makes it impossible to get the charcoal hot. I suppose it’s another reason I should go to a propane grill (my neighbor at the next campsite is cheerfully grilling his supper while I’m getting really hungry). I would argue with anyone who prefers the taste of food cooked over propane rather than charcoal. To each his own, though.

Sunday, June 14:
It’s been a pretty good day but an afternoon rain is falling now - at least I hope it’s just an afternoon shower. I’ve met some interesting Park folks today, as well as the ranger who will be assigned here two days a week.


Monday, June 15:
I didn’t hear anything about Jeannie today, but the radio transmission here has been spotty. When I could get through to the Entrance Station they had trouble hearing me so I walked out to the road and it was a little better. I hope I never have to call out an emergency, but I guess I’ll do whatever I have to do.

I got a huge and welcome surprise today. I heard the sound of a vehicle pulling up and stopping, and pretty soon I heard someone call “Gypsy”. It was Boris and Natasha! They are staying in a campground in Shingletown and drove all this way to see me - we had a wonderful visit, took pictures, etc., and it ended all too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment