Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Turning over a new leaf!

It's always great to get a new lease on life, and I think I'm having one now.  I had a video phone visit with my cardiologist yesterday, and she thinks I'm good for at least another 10 years - maybe longer.  There are still a lot of things wrong with my life - being alone so much of the time without a way to get out and do things on my own, is probably the worst.  My kids try to be helpful and my daughter lives close, but I want the freedom to come and go, and do what I choose to do.  You hear a lot of talk about "life lessons" we all have to learn, but personally, I think it is a bunch of crap.  I learned so much throughout my life, but I guess I couldn't have learned about what it's like to be old.  You can have an elderly parent or other relatives, but you can't tell what it's really like until you get there!

So I have been feeling a bit better each day, and I'm walking a mile on my treadmill every day at 3 mph.  Some might think this is too little, or too slow, but knowing myself, if I try to do too much I will burn out.  So I'm happy with my mile a day routine.  I also found some hand weights in a drawer - they aren't heavy ones; I have four at 2# and two at 1# each.  I'm looking to pick out four of the six weights, and with half in each hand, I should be good to go!  I can always buy a heavier set, but I'm better off being consistent than being gung ho, which easily wears off.

So I have so much to do, I almost don't know where to begin.  Since I'm starting to feel better, and maybe even a little more hopeful, I'll just take it a day at a time.

How is the pandemic and isolation affecting all of you?  I guess it's worse in some areas than in others, and I know there are many people who don't pay attention to it.  At my age, I'm taking no chances!  But sometimes it is absolute hell to be so alone.  I find myself wondering what it would have been like if I had stayed in the mobile home park.  I'd never want to go back, but do miss seeing and talking to people in the neighborhood.  I meet a few people on my daily walks with Rocky, and we shout back and forth with each other from across the street, but it's not like I know any of them.

As the old saying goes, "Getting old ain't for sissies!".

7 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are a bit more upbeat. The treadmill sounds good for you. I am lucky to have my husband to talk to (or argue with) 🤪 I can imagine that being alone is worse these days. Good some of your family is close by. Hopefully Covid will be pushed back with the vaccines. 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am like you Gypsy, it’s just me and my dog. It does get very lonely. I am looking forward to the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are definitely trying times especially if you are alone. You can talk to Rocky without worrying that he'll argue with you. Nice to be able to get out for walks to socialize even from across the street.
    Maybe extending your distance another Half Mile on the treadmill will also be beneficial. It will even help give you more energy.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the cooler temperatures.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pretty self sufficient and stay in alot anyway, but i miss having the OPTION of going somewhere, anywhere when i want and be welcome there and not looked at or treated like i have something wrong with me... Been going to physical therapy and lo and behold, i don't know how to stand up from a sitting position and hold myself all wrong, who knew....??? Yes getting old is not for sissies....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You stick to what makes you comfortable on your treadmill and weights. There is always the person who thinks someone should do more like they have a license to pratice medicine. You will know if you want to add more time or speed. I'm happy your feeling better. I'm getting sick of this isolation too and I'm not usually bothered by it. But like you and others said its not having the freedom to choose staying in or going out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are feeling better. This staying at home is getting old for all of us, hopefully it will end soon!

    ReplyDelete