Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, March 8, 2019

Dog pack

The pack arrived!  I haven't seen a dog pack since the late 1990's and they have changed a bit.   This one weighs more as it is a canvas-type fabric which is heavier than the nylon pack I had for Smoky.   So it's just as well I don't intend to backpack with Rocky and I will try to keep it as light as possible when I'm walking him while wearing it.

To be truthful, my opinion that it is over-engineered and not as practical as the one Smoky had.  I also think most items like this are over-engineered to impress people I guess, but if a person or a dog is going to carry a loaded pack for any distance, up hills and down, crossing streams, in wind and rain and maybe even snow, then they would need a pack without too many bells, whistles and buckles.  I don't know if anyone still does it, but when I was backpacking I met folks who were so intent on keeping their packs as light as possible, they even cut the handle off their toothbrush!  Every ounce counts, especially when you are carrying it on your back, and that applies to dogs as well.   (Note:  cutting the handle off the toothbrush was going too far, and I didn't do it!)

I haven't tried the pack on him yet - just figuring out how to secure it with all the buckles on it will take some thinking about, preferably when Rocky isn't being so nosy.  I'm sure he knows it is for him!  Right now I'm just a little bit mad at him so he can just cool his heels for a while.

Here's the weekend already!  I'm still mentally at about Wednesday!  

9 comments:

  1. A backpack for Rocky, where are you headed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really headed anywhere - just thought if I put a backpack on him and maybe a few things in it, he wouldn't be so frisky on our walks. I'd love to be able to go hiking somewhere but don't know if I could deal with it!

      Delete
    2. You may have a great idea there with the backpack it will be interesting to hear about it .

      Delete
  2. You are only three days behind, I still prefer the 1950's and 60's. Maybe that is why I watch all those old black and white TV shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when we got our first TV in the late 50's. I watched it but was never all that interested in it, and quit TV for good a while back. I don't miss it except for news and maybe a NOVA program now and then.

      Delete
  3. You can add a water dish as well as bottled water and Snacks for both Rocky and yourself in the pack. The starting weight should slow him down a bit then as you use the water it will get lighter. For a starter just do a mile then slowly add to the distance. That will not only get Rocky used to the Pack but help build your Stamina. He'll also start recognizing the Pack as meaning it's time for a walk.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been searching for the kind of dog pack I want, and found them at REI, which carries a lot of hiking, backpacking, and camping supplies. They have the lighter weigh nylon packs for dogs but they cost double what I paid for the one I bought. I have to think about this.

      Delete
  4. I have never seen a backpack for dogs. Hoping this slows him down a bit so you can both walk more comfortably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried it on him but I didn't have much patience with him. He kept trying to chew on the buckles and wouldn't stand still so I could adjust the fit. I am thinking about sending it back because it is heavier than what I want. Straps and buckles hanging everywhere!

      Delete