Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, July 21, 2022

I need a change!

I think I need something in my life that will give me a reason for going on.  What I have is so boring and predictable, as well as lonely.  I might be better off in a senior living community, and I have given it some thought.  My daughter went to great lengths to find a builder of new homes that included a senior living apartment that is totally independent from the main section.  I have every appliance except a dishwasher, and you will never know how wonderful a dishwasher is until you don't have one!  I miss it terribly, as a single person doesn't accrue many dirty dishes each day,  I don't like leaving them stack up in the sink. 

I walk my dog every day but rarely meet other people on the walk, and those I do see don't say much more than "hello" or just wave as I go by.  It is me, because when I'm outside with my daughter she has people clamoring around her to talk.  I don't get so much as a wave or a smile.  Can someone tell me if it might be my age, or if it could be another reason.  I try to smile at everyone I meet, so I hope I look friendly.

 I know my daughter searched for a home that would accommodate me in a private and completely equipped apartment, but I might have been better where I was and on my own.  I hope I don't sound ungrateful, but I feel like I'm facing a slow death here.  Another problem, or maybe it's just an inconvenience to me, is the fact that no commercial establishment is within walking distance.  I wish I could walk to a store, a deli, or any kind of place where I would have a destination and would interact with others.

I know there is no answer for me, so I just have to suck it up and try to keep the peace.


 

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you! Blogging gives you something to do and people to interact with. Get yourself that new camera. I still want to see your place as I'm sure others do too. Is there some activity you could share with a grandchild that could teach & be fun for both of you? Have a good day, Gypsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's time for you to reach out. Join your local senior citizens center. They have many activities & classes & get togethers. Go there maybe 3 or 4 times a week. I know you say you live out in the country someplace but there are many senior transport services or Uber. Go to the senior center for a watercolor class or senior lunch or even bingo. It's the socializing that is important. Reach out to the Area Agency On Aging. Google senior transport. They will take you to a grocery, library, mall etc. What happened to your love of painting still life or adult coloring books etc. Also, if you want to move back into Fair Oaks or Rancho Cucumungo etc - maybe get yourself an apartment there. Your daughter could turn your current place into an Airbnb and rent it for $100 night.? Use that money to pay for your in town apartment. Then someday when you are done sewing your wild oats .- move back to your daughter's place. I really think you just need to get involved with senior center & socialize. California provides tons of opportunity for seniors - but, they are not gonna come knocking on your door. You have got to Reach Out.!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cactus Flower has wonderful suggestions. You really need to check out some of those options. Most of us older folk are alone and depression is very real. So they need you as much as you need them. And if you want to move to a senior complex, I'm sure your daughter will understand. She doesn't want you to be unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ask for a golf cart for your birthday or Christmas.

    ReplyDelete