Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, February 26, 2017

This morning the big fire engine and the smaller fire dept. van showed up in front of my next door neighbor's house (Ed).  He has been taken away in an ambulance several times in the last year or so.  A private transport company just brought him back, but I wonder how he can care for himself, or even what caused him to be taken away in the first place.  I'm glad he's back, but still wonder how he can manage.  He rides his bike for a few minutes now and then, and was out riding it yesterday.


I can't find my cell phone and may have left it in Jeannie's car when we were out yesterday.  I'm thinking maybe I should just get a land line for home, and buy a cheap disposable cell phone for the rare times I travel these days.  I don't have the feeling that I have to be connected all the time, as I spent most of my life using the phone only at home or at work.  Also, it is no doubt part of a hearing problem I have but I don't hear well on a cell phone.  Most of the words are garbled and I have to constantly ask the person to repeat what they said.  



Since I have a Jitterbug cell phone that doesn't do anything except act as a telephone, I only pay about $40 a month.  I've been debating this question in my mind for a few years and don't think I'm any closer to a solution.   But it's a nuisance trying to keep up with it and I refuse to get one of those gigantic things you carry around in your hand all the time.  But at least those folks know where their phones are during all their waking hours!  That is more than I can say for myself.

I did vacuum the rug today.  It is a large area rug slightly larger than 5' x 7'.  It  is new and was shedding some fibers, so I'm glad to finally get them swept up.   Now that job is taken care of I can relax.  I've tried to talk myself into doing it all the past week!

My legs are too achy from all the exercise to go anywhere today, except to the nearby Dollar Tree store.  I love that store and it's amazing what you can find for $1.   The folks who manage and work there are so helpful and friendly, much more than most stores in the area.

 I go back to the dentist tomorrow for an adjustment.  I'm hoping it will take care of the problems - I'm wearing them all day but they hurt when I eat certain foods.  I think that will go away in time with the proper adjustment.   I knew it wouldn't be easy, and it hasn't, but I am totally dedicated to making it work well.

I wonder if I'll ever be normal and fixed up again.  Sometimes I doubt it.  So this is old age?

10 comments:

  1. As for me, no landline. The only calls we ever got on it were soliciting something! Old Man has a "go phone". AT&T. I think I pay $25, for 90 days. If it were used much, it would be expensive. Calls are $1.00 a minute. But his phone is only used for talking with me. It is a good phone---a Samsung with a camera. We were able to put the sim card in, so he gets cheap service with a good, but old phone. My iPhone serves as our family phone.
    The other day, I got a call from his phone. He did not know where his phone was. We discovered that he had lost it as he was walking; didn't even know he dropped it on the sidewalk. Lucky for us, the finder called my number, the first on his contacts list. Old Man says he will pay more attention to that clip now. Hope the dentist fixes your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping my daughter will find it but I haven't heard from her yet. If I dropped it somewhere, I would hope the finder would call the number that appears on the screen. No one hoping to find a phone would want an old Jitterbug phone except maybe for an older Jitterbugger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally becoming "normal" would not be my goal. he he he

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, I have never worried about it much myself. It's too late to change now at any rate.

      Delete
  4. I had been meaning to ask you about Ed but had forgotten his name (oops, sorry!) does he still have the dog?

    Hoping things go well with the dentist tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness Ed gave the dog back. He could never care properly for an indoor dog, considering he has had several episodes of something that puts him in the hospital.

      Thanks, I hope so too, and I have a lot of confidence in this dentist.

      Delete
  5. The guy that lived next door to me was always calling the Emergency number and they would come take him away and then he would call someone to bring him back. Finally they had to report him to adult services since he had no family. Its sad when they have no one. He passed in a nursing home last month.

    Getting used to the new bridge isn't easy hope the adjustment works out and your phone is found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only hope is that the phone fell out of my jacket pocket at the gym on Saturday.

      I think Ed probably needs to be in an assisted living situation. He does have people look in on him sometimes - I think they might be from his church. I'd hate to see him reported and have the decision taken away from him on what to do.

      Delete
  6. I agree that land lines are much easier to hear over especially if they too have a volume control like cell phones do. But you can't do anything about the other person's cell phone which may be the source of the garbling. Do you have a neighbor who could call your phone and see who answers? That will tell you where it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter has called my number and it goes to voice mail. I agree that the problem could be with the other person's phone, but the biggest problem is with my hearing. A bad connection just makes it worse for me.

      Delete