Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Back to the old!

Over time my cast iron cookware has settled to the bottom of the stacks in my cabinet, and I've been using a couple of non-stick skillets.  Yesterday when I was frying my steak and onions I got out one of the cast iron skillets, and I think I will start using them for just about everything.  I fried an egg for a sandwich in the little one this morning.  I hope to get some benefit of what little iron transfers to the food.  You sometimes forget how good the products are that have been tried and true.

Ara is having the family over for Cincinnati chili this afternoon.  Poor Steven (the b.f.) will undoubtedly take a log of good natured joking from Ara's uncles.

I had planned to go through the house today and get rid of things I don't want or need, and put the rest of the clutter in it's proper place (wherever that is).  I took a good look around and decided I'd do it tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, if I had stayed married to the kids' dad, and if he had lived, we would be married 47 years tomorrow.  But I didn't, and he didn't, and we aren't!  Tomorrow is also the birthday of my beautiful sister-in-law Wilma, who is married to my oldest brother, Bill.  They have been so gracious to me when I've stopped at their house on the way to and from NY at various times.  Happy birthday, Wilma!

I'm looking forward to the gathering this afternoon.  It seems like along time since everyone has been together.  I can't wait to see how baby Quinn has grown.  Meg sends me videos so that I can see her progress.

I wish everyone a good week ahead.  Maybe if we weather the coming storm it will be the worst of winter and we can begin to look forward to spring.  I see that New York and Wisconsin have warmed up and I hope their snow has melted.

 

10 comments:

  1. Glad you ditched your non-stick. It isn't safe, especially if you accidentally overheat it. I stopped using it years ago when I read it could kill a parrot I had at the time. I occasionally use a well seasoned cast iron pan and amazingly it is NON-STICK. My mom fixed cornbread in a skillet all the time. She also made the very best pineapple upside down cake in a skillet. You can pick up a lot of bioavailable iron from beef, but you have said you don't care for beef. BTW, how have your steaks turned out? Maybe you can find a good marinade.

    So nice you have family close and have good times together.

    My two sisters and brother came to visit me at the same time several days ago. My brother commented it was the first time all of us had been together at one time in 35 years! We had a great time reminiscing and interrupting each other! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have known for a while that I shouldn't use the non-stick stuff because I've had it for several years and it gets scratched - who knows what comes through the scratches!

      I would like beef a little more if it didn't give me indigestion. But as I've said before, Donald's hamburgers and now my steak didn't bother me at all. I guess it depends largely on the quality of the beef.

      I used to cook cornbread in a cast iron skillet but haven't made it for a long time. I couldn't eat it all myself, and would get tired of it if I had much of it.

      Family get-togethers are so much fun and the stories and interruptions can get pretty funny.

      Delete
  2. I just wrote a nice long post and lost it by touching ' something'. Darn !
    Briefly I had said I was glad you were not going to pull out your
    cast iron skillets and toss them out. Especially as you like to declutter.
    I love them for cornbread, grilled cheese sandwiches, steaks, fried
    chicken, breakfast and etc, etc.
    Also wanted to say it sounds nice to hear someone needs to raise
    their cholesterol instead of carefully watching it to keep low, the bad kind.
    Enjoy your eggs !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am enjoying the eggs immensely. And the beef. I would never throw cast iron away, and hope when I'm gone my kids don't toss it out either.

      Delete
  3. I love using cast iron skillets. Especially for cornbread. Unfortunately, we have a glass top stove. Do not think it works with cast iron. Sure do wish, when we bought this house, that I had opted for a gas stove. At the time I thought electric was the way to go. Of course, my iron skillet still works in the oven, but many recipes want me to go from stovetop to oven! Enjoy your time with your family. Wish we had a baby to cuddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I held the baby most of the afternoon. She always has a big grin for me and it melts my heart.

      The only thing about cast iron is you have to take care cleaning it, and it isn't difficult at all. For someone who wants to leave pots and pans to soak, or to put in the dishwasher, that would never be something you can do with cast iron and it turns a lot of younger women off.

      Delete
  4. Sure good to hear your enjoying your cast iron again. I don't have any and I have wondered what ever happened to the ones my dad had. oH Well.

    Getting together with family is fun and Friday night was just that for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being with family is fun, and as we get older we need that contact with the different age groups.

      Delete
  5. skillet iron is not to be considered of any health benefit, just opposite of this. Thought you may wish to know this. I love my iron skillets, although lately they tend to stick with everything I cook. I've goofed somewhere along the line. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just always heard the old story about how you derive a bit of iron from using cast iron, but it may or may not be true. I just love cooking with it and never have any problem with foods sticking to it. There is a particular way you have to "season" it though. I used to always use a bit of Crisco to put a light protective coat on a clean skillet. At home my Mom always used bacon grease, but I eat so little bacon I can't seem to have enough of the grease; it's the best thing to coat the iron I think. I don't like using olive oil for some reason, but I recently bought some manteca (lard) to try making pie crust with, and I can use it on the skillets.

      I don't have much counter space to roll pie crust which is why I haven't made a pie in so long, but when I can get up the energy I will try it. My grandmother used nothing but lard. I will let everyone know how the crust turns out if I ever get around to making it.

      Delete