Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, January 22, 2017

I tried!

I just woke up from the most wonderful nap I've had in a long time.  I thought about the couch but went in and slept on my bed under my wonderful down comforter.  What bliss!  There are some winters where it isn't cold enough to use the down, but this winter it has been supremely welcome.

Well, I tried.  After the gym I drove over to the turn off to the American River parkway (walking path) thinking I would take some pictures.  I dove forever over a winding path until I came to the entrance to the park area - a self service kiosk was there informing me that I had to self register and pay $5.00!  No way am I going to drop $5 to drive back and park for maybe a half hour at most.  If I hadn't been so mad about it I could have driven to a number of places where I'm sure I could have parked for free, but I just said "the heck with this" and came home - to a great nap!   As I was driving back across the bridge I noted that the water levels have receded somewhat, no doubt let out through the flood gates so as to have the capacity to hold the winter snowmelt when it hits.  It is still snowing at the high elevations - I think I mentioned my sister in Carson City got 8 to 10" of new snow as of yesterday.  The official word is that there is still 40% drought in CA, although they grudgingly admitted it wasn't in Sacramento but in other parts of the state.  There is no doubt a desert part of the state that never gets much rainfall and is in a constant state of drought, so why include that in the statistics.   They just get skewed, but then, isn't that government entirely?

So I thought I would have some photos for today's blog  but I'll have to think of something else to take pictures of.

I intended to make a list of words and phrases that are in use - no doubt more with younger people today - that make no sense to me.  I only wrote down two, but maybe someone could shed some light on what in the world they stand for, and I'll add more as I come to them.

The first is "Steampunk".  I can't even think of an example how this is used, although I think it describes something.

The second is "hack".  We all know the normal meanings of hack, but this seems to be used in such a way that it isn't all that bad.   I just saw a youtube video called "42 Nail Hacks" and refers to a DIY video.  That could make sense but there are times when its usage makes absolutely no sense at all.

Who is making up these ways to use words in a different way?  I certainly don't think it is you or I.  So if you see something that looks incomprehensible/ridiculous to you, please post it in a comment or write me an email.   I'm only speaking of us oldies here, but we may need a new dictionary!

9 comments:

  1. There are videos on my youtube list including "Amazing Camping Hacks", and "26 Genius Cleaning Hacks". What in the heck happened to our language!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hack just suddenly appeared in the last few months and it took me a while to understand. Steampunk still has me puzzled even though I looked it up:

    Retro-Victorian Scientific Fantasies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking the Steampunk up. It makes absolutely no sense when you think of it, but I guess it is just a combination of styles from several different diverse periods. Hack doesn't make any sense either when you think of the normal meanings of the word. I think maybe my parents' generation had the same difficulties with my slang when I was a teen, but by the time I hit my 20's I grew up. I don't think 20's & 30's have ever really grown up in some ways.

      Delete
  3. Most parks now charge a $5. fee to keep up with the care and fixing of vandalism, It is a shame that kids grow up to be such horrible creatures and have no respect for the beauty of our Country.

    And all these new meanings for words... I just don't understand why either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be some park if they get anyone to enter for $5 when there is free access all up and down the river. I just didn't want to have to drive to any of them because the one I chose was so close.

      Delete
  4. Nothing more sleep inducing than a down comforter. I really can't understand why I sleep so much more soundly during a daytime nap than at night when I should be sleeping. As for the new words they just make me sigh. I don't even get Instagram or pinterest. I sure hope some of your readers can tell me why I should care about these or the strange words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most generations have their own lingo, but a lot of new words have appeared since the proliferation of social media. Maybe the words are to set people up and apart from the masses! They are the "in crowd"!

      Delete
  5. Sherry -- you made me laugh. I just woke up from a really great nap. It is harder for me to sleep at night for some unknown reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes nap during the daytime, but then I'm awake later than I want to be. I get my best sleep at night.

      Delete