Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Doing nothing

That's what I've decided to do (or not do) for the time being until the weather warms up.  I'm talking about the weather inside my house, where it is still too chilly and my fingers hurt!   So while things need to be done around me I will just wait until a warm day comes along.

It's a beautiful day today, sun shining from the time I woke up, and no hint of rain although the forecast calls for it today.  Just what my thick carpet of weeds needs - rain and sun.

I'm hitting that point in the day where I feel like taking a nap but will be sorry if I do.

Thanks to Phil who responded to my blog yesterday about getting blood tests without the orders of a physician.  I found a lab that sounds easy enough to deal with and is near Jeannie's house, so I shouldn't have difficulty in driving there.  Of course insurance doesn't pay until a doctor is involved, but it's worth not having to deal with all the drama of having to choose a personal physician and an office visit.  I will probably look for a local doctor that is not affiliated with a large hospital group, but I'm in no hurry to find one.  I feel sure that once I can eat my normal diet I will be back to A-OK!   

7 comments:

  1. The blog Wheeling It had several posts on medical self care which you may find interesting
    http://wheelingit.us/
    It is a two part series with the first telling why they do it and the second with links to self testing resources.

    Article 1: http://wheelingit.us/2013/11/14/self-medical-care-part-i-why-do-it/

    Article 2: http://wheelingit.us/2013/11/16/self-medical-care-part-ii-self-testing-links/

    Regards
    sgsmith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the references. I have never heard mention of that blog, but I'm interested in not going to doctors, so I will check out the links.

      Delete
    2. I have read the two blog posts you linked, and am intrigued with doing my own testing. I have bookmarked several places including LabCorp, and think that sounds like a way better option for me than going through a medical practice.

      Delete
  2. You may want to find out how much these test will cost out of your pocket. They can run into well over $100.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The regular blood test that they do in the medical clinic, including cholesterol testing, runs about $85 depending on how many things you want to include. While I'd rather not have to pay out of pocket, it could save me the grief of having to find a doctor, go through all the hassles of referrals and examinations, and I'm just through with that stuff. Of course if something is drastically wrong then I will have to re-think it all.

      Delete
  3. It is too bad you do not live close to the Mexican border. There are labs that do not require a doctor's order to have them performed.

    I have mine done at the local hospital for $40.00 each. If I were to get them done in Mexico I could have all of them done for that price.

    The only reason I stay with my US doctor is because we went through hell trying to find a US doctor for my dad when we had to put him in a nursing home.

    Being that I probably wont have any family members alive when I go to a nursing home, I need to keep this doctor.

    ReplyDelete