Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, January 1, 2017

A strange evening

I left the gym this morning and was driving to the grocery when I was overcome by an extreme feeling of happiness.  It was the endorphins, and I love it when I get that feeling.  It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough that I keep hoping.

Now for last night.  I first should mention that I have a Tiffany style hanging lamp sitting in front of the door, just where Lady used to snooze and make sure no intruders bothered her nap.   I cleaned it up to give it to Ara after I replace the old cord.   The colors are amber, brown, etc., just the color of Lady at first glance.  But I never thought anything about that - it's just the lamp sitting there waiting for me to go buy a cord."

You can click on the photo to make it larger.  Now I know all my eagle-eyed readers will immediately say, "She's hallucinating, that's a LAMP!



Last night I was sitting here by myself playing mahjong on the computer and carrying on a texting conversation with my kids now and then.  They text and I do the same only from my computer.  There were a lot of thumps and bumps, especially after 11 pm, and it sounded like something was on the roof.  I hear birds up there now and then, but last night they had their Army boots on!

The sounds became more strange and I wasn't sure where they were coming from, but I kept glancing at Lady to see what she was making of it.  Of course Lady is actually that lamp!  At 11:30 there was a sound as if someone took a heavy bat and swung it at the front of my house.  Again I kept glancing in the direction of what my imagination was telling me was the dog.  I don't understand how I kept thinking it was anything but the lamp, but every time I heard a loud noise I looked for the dog's reaction.

I must add that the people in this park are not late night people.  There is never a sound after 9 or 10pm unless a helicopter flies overhead, or a fire engine is running their siren.  I have never, ever, been afraid in this house.  I feel totally safe here, no matter what happens all around me.  But I was nervous.  The popping sounds eventually became louder and  I realized they were fireworks going off in the municipal park, about 3 miles from me.  Just a few minutes before midnight I looked through the blinds and saw the fireworks display, and then I could settle down.  I wasn't expecting them because the city of Sacramento made such a big deal about not having fireworks this New Year's Eve.

The mind can play strange tricks on a person - I knew I have no dog, and I knew I had a lamp sitting there, but I kept glancing with every noise to see if the "dog" was reacting.  I couldn't control whatever part of my mind was being the joker! 

What a way to start the New Year!  I'm planning on having a great 2017, but I wonder if I am going to be tricked now and then.

8 comments:

  1. I sometimes see Scooter and then I cry. But 2017 is going to be a great year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to keep that in mind, Sandie. A great year!

      It's been long enough that I've gotten over the crying but I think of her fondly, all the time. I wonder if this lamp "thing" was a visit from Lady, having fun with me. I knew I didn't see what I saw, but kept seeing it over and over again. Weird - good job, Lady!

      Delete
  2. Never wince over good memories! There isn't enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got that 100% right! I love most of my old memories, and it seems like I usually remember the good stuff, not the unpleasant.

      Delete
  3. I liked your thoughts about Lady and the Lamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Al, it was so real, and I couldn't quit looking to see what Lady's reaction was to all the noise outside. Now that I think about it, I'm sure she was having some fun with me!

      Delete
  4. With all your thoughts over getting a dog lately maybe that's what triggered this and the lamp sitting in her spot. She is letting you know that she will always be watching out for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she was definitely with me in spirit. I miss having a dog when things go bump in the night, and now I know they will always be with me.

      Delete