Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, April 3, 2020

Is anyone else bored?

I am bored some of the time, but I know it is going to get much worse.  I try to throw a ball to Rocky several times a day so that he gets some exercise, but my throwing arm is getting a little sore!

My tomato plants are looking good - some even have flowers on them - but I'm sure they are too close togther.  It's not like I could take one out of each row and plant it somewhere else - I'd have to re-space all of them in the row.  I think I can get the metal tomato cages in place for each one, but it will be a close fit.  I don't know but it doesn't look right.  If someone comments that I should re-space them then I will do it!  It is going to bug me the whole summer if I don't take care of it now.  DARN!

I can't believe how much better I'm doing since walking a mile on the treadmill every day this week.  I will walk a mile tomorrow, which will make 6 miles for the week, skip Sunday as a day of rest, and then try to up the mileage a bit next week and every week thereafter until I get to a good workout.

My exercise floor mat  came today and I wanted to set it out and see how comfortable it is.  Rocky got in the way and wanted to get on it at the same time.  I suppose it will do fine.  It is very thick but very firm at the same time.  I have to figure out a way to keep him off it.

I had to get a new vacuum cleaner as the old one was never very good.  I looked on line for one made in the USA, and darned if I didn't find one.  It's made by the company in the US that used to be Electrolux, and now looks to be affiliated with Hoover.  (I'm not quite sure about that, but it is made in the US, and I'm happy to note that Hoover still is. )  That isn't to say the parts aren't from all over the world but at least someone here has a job putting it all together.

I have a lot of projects in the planning stages (meaning I think about them as I am going to sleep at night!).  I have to do something about the deck and handrail, which is full of splinters.  I have a really deep splinter in the palm of my hand that I haven't been able to get out.  I guess I will try to sand the wood and then stain it.  That's a job that will probably take me all summer just doing the sanding!  If this quarantine is going to last much longer then it's a good thing I have several projects to work on.

Have as good a weekend as you can.  I'd like to know what everyone else is doing to pass the time (if you are under quarantine).  I cherish the comments I get on the blog, as it is the next best thing to a face-to-face conversation during these times. 

13 comments:

  1. You'd better get that splinter out before it gets infected. It really doesn't take much to entertain me. Books, tv, computer, taking care of Skitz and Jim, eating. You need to teach Rocky how to do your exercises with you because if you are on the floor he thinks you are playing with him. We just had a pipe connection cone apart and flood the bathroom. Always so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get the splinter out and there is nobody around to help me with it. My daughter is afraid to come by as she has had a cough for a while. Nothing else, just a cough, and she has been almost as isolated as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you on your walking...A mile a day is great & you are wise to increase the distance gradually. I am not bored yet, but definitely miss going into town without feeling like I am heading to battle. I get the mail & do the banking for the animal shelter I have been involved with for 26 yrs.....due to the virus, we had to foster & adopt out the cats two weeks ago. I will only get mail once a week now & without adoptions, maybe bank every two weeks. It is nerve wracking being out there....I had disposable gloves for each, bank, grocery store, another for the post office.....Once home I left everything outside until it could be cleaned as I brought it in....I must say I go on "Facebook" several times a day to see some posts & the odd silly stuff that comes down.....Rained here today, so no walking for us....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week I saw a post from someone begging for pet food for large dogs at a no-kill shelter. I answered and told them I had an extra 30# bag of Iams for large adult dogs that I would let them have, but someone would have to pick it up as I no longer drive. Messages kept going back and forth and we were getting no where - they would take the dog food but not sure if someone could pick it up. Well I'm not going to beg someone to take a 30# bag off my hands and it went on and on. I felt like saying forget it but thought about those big dogs. I said I was going to write them a check and they could use it to buy dog food. Then they wrote and told me about all the cats and kittens, and what type of food they like. I am not a cat person, but a hungry animal is one that I feel sorry for - I told them I didn't care if they bought cat food, but that some of my donation should go for large dog food since that it what caught my attention in the first place. These are strange times!

      Delete
    2. Very strange times for sure.... I think of the stories my mom had of living through the depression, with food rationing and all they had to do. I feel lucky to be a senior and knowing the pension cheque keeps coming...

      Delete
  4. You need what I call a flinger to throw the ball. It’s a plastic stick. You hold one end and the ball goes in the other end. It really saves your arm. Also if the ball is all gross with saliva and dirt you can use it to pick up the ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of those but the ball doesn't seem to go any further than when I throw it the regular way. I haven't got the hang of that device! Also, sometimes I swing the darn thing and the ball stays locked in its clutches! How can a person mess something up that should be so easy - but I do!

      Delete
  5. Bored. Get your art paints out and busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've admitted to myself that I have absolutely no talent, and turned my art table and supplies over to my granddaughters!

      Delete
    2. Talent has nothing to do with hobbies. Only fun. As a paper waster I have loads and loads of fun creating paintings to throw away. Who would have thought that filling trash bins with colored paper would be so much fun.

      Delete
    3. You have a wonderful and positive way of looking at it. I would berate myself for even thinking i could create a drawing or a painting.

      Delete
  6. Not sure how you can be bored with all you are doing. I'm doing nothing. I just can't seem to get up the energy and most of the things that need doing here require that I hire someone to do them since David cannot. Of course we are under masked quarantine now so that's no happening. Mostly I read and cook and walk around and around the same places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are both doing what we can. I can't read for long because of macular degeneration. I used to be a great cook but completely lost interest in it. I have a large backyard that I sometimes walk around, but it is on a hill and I don't do much walking back there. I do throw the ball to the dog and let him expend some of his energy, and I enjoy my garden. What I really miss is people, because even as an introvert I've always enjoyed meeting people and talking to them. It was actually fun to go to the supermarket! I haven't kept track of the current days of isolation, but the numbers keep racking up! We will survive this, but I don't think life will ever be the same. Your life changed a short while back, and I hope you find a comfortable niche for yourself when this pandemic is finally over.

      Delete