Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, November 19, 2018

My Wandering Boy is Back!

My youngest son, Joe, had last week off work and he and a friend went camping at the Grand Canyon.  I believe they camped 3 nights in the G.C., and then decided to go to the beach for a day or so, and ended up in California at Pismo Beach.  He took lots of pictures and it seems he had a great time.  Now I can stop worrying about him falling over a cliff, and spend the next week worrying about Jeannie & her family who are on vacation!  A mother of four is always worried about one or the other of them - in this case I've been fretting for a while about 2 of them!

I am so disappointed, worried, irritated, and a lot of other emotions - I was so happy Rocky had such a good time at the dog park socializing with other dogs and getting some great exercise.  However, every single time I've ever taken him inside those gates he gets the same condition back.  The vet is blaming it on food, and I was convinced that it was what and how I feed him.  I'm sticking to the special (and expensive) food for gastro-enteritis, but I do  like to give him treats, for training as well as just because I love him and like to see the joy he gets from anything and everything he eats.  Sometimes I use the kibble as treats, but sometimes I sneak in a special packaged treat that might be contributing to what ails him.   To be truthful, I don't think a treat now and then would have this sort of effect, but I'm wondering if there is a problem in that park with giardia.  If there is, then I'm sure to hear of other dogs that have it as well.  I'm really stumped, and don't know why a healthy 6 month old pup is having the problem he has. 

His other problem is that he chews anything and everything he can get by with.  And he is so clever he gets by with a lot!

Much of today wasn't as hazy as it's been, but late afternoons have been weird.  I wonder what lasting damage this smoke is doing to people as far away from the fire as we are in Sacramento. 

I forgot to publish this yesterday, so I'll just make it Monday's post!

6 comments:

  1. Well he is a lab and labs chew at least until they are 1 and a half years old. But they are the most lovable, happy dogs. I guess you need to focus on the happy part and otherwise keep your house bare of chewable stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think we make a game of me hiding things and him finding things. The look on his face when I catch him in the act of stealing a tissue out of the wastebasket makes me laugh; he like to chew on tissues as well as anything else he can find, and his body language and eyes give him away when he's trying to sneak by me, and I can only laugh.

      Delete
  2. Our one dog seems to like soda crackers as well as she does dog treats. I think the low sodium crackers will do her no harm and is better for her than the dog treats. Of course I could be wrong. You know, I have been known to wrong a couple of times in my life. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a "paper chewer" also, don't you? I try to keep all paper up high somewhere so he can't reach it, but somehow he manages.

      Delete
  3. It might be worth talking to the nicer people at the dog park to see if their dogs ever have this problem, maybe they aren't even aware of it. Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look out for the "nicer ones" this morning and take Rocky over. One vet told me dog parks were bad places for dogs for contamination reasons; another vet told me I should let him run with the dogs at the park to work off some of his tremendous energy. His excessive chewing may be related to boredom, so I think I'm going to try it.

      Delete