Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Glad That's Over With!.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but if you didn't see it I will repeat it.  I get absolutely TOTALLY depressed about my birthday.  It is an irrational dislike for getting older, but it's been that way for me since I turned 21, which probably didn't have anything to do with aging.  Thirty was the worst.  Ten years later I went to the store or something on my birthday and came back to find a surprise party, with a banner emblazoned with the words "Oh Lordy, Marty's Forty" outside the house for the world to see.  So about a week before my birthday I get really irritable, depressed, and just plain nasty sometimes.  The very next day I'm back to my old self.  So that's my explanation for my erratic behavior the past week.  And while today is the dreaded day, I feel I'm over the worst part of it and can get back to normal.

Rocky is his old self which includes getting into whatever he can get his paws on, and chewing it to bits.  He chews EVERYTHING, and I'm about to go crazy about it.  He has even thrown up twice at which time a rock came up.  I really watch him like a hawk because he tries so hard to pick up every rock around and chew it, but it's almost impossible and I have to stop numerous times on our walks and pry those teeth open to remove a stone.

I've decided to get him neutered shortly after he turns 6 months old.  I had planned to wait until he was closer to a year, but my son Steve said they did that with their dog and have regretted it ever since as he still has the male behavior that neutering usually takes care of.  I'm hoping it will calm Rocky down a bit.  I had Smoky (my other lab) neutered at about 6 months and he was a delight to be around all his life.  That probably had more to do with genetics than neutering, but I've made up my mind.  All the vet staff have strongly urged it each and every time I take him in, and they no doubt see something in his behavior that could improve.  For my own sanity I'm going to do it.

Steve came over yesterday to take us to the vet, and he's coming back this morning to take me to my cardiologist appointment (so Rocky will have to stay home, and I cringe to think of what he can do to pay me back for leaving him.)  We have gone over a number of things that need to be done before I try to sell this place and move to the duplex and will shop for some of the smaller items after the doctor appt.

I'm back at home and there is a lot to be done, and I wear myself out just dealing with a puppy.  Steve has already replaced 3 door handle sets that were bad, and we're working with a long list of to-do's.  After my cardio appt. he took me to Chipotle for a birthday lunch.  Chipotle is about the only restaurant where I really enjoy the food, so it was my choice.  When we got back the house was in better shape than I dared hoped.  Rocky chewed a few insignificant things, but all in all, I'm learning to do a better job of getting things out of his reach. 

This is growing way too long for a blog post, but I have to mention how horrible the air is here.  The haze is unbelievable and the sky has an ominous look to it.   We stopped in Home Depot after the doctor, and I heard one of the cashiers saying they were out of face masks but that the police were giving them out.  I'm trying to hold Rocky back as I don't want to be out walking him, and I don't want his lungs messed up either.  My heart goes out to anyone who lives in the area of Paradise, as well as those affected by the fires in the south.

12 comments:

  1. I get kind of down-in-the-mouth around my birthday but it is not about getting older. I relish getting older at some point my physical age will catch up with my psychological age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't analyzed the reason for my lifelong dislike of my birthday, but I think maybe it has something to do with not liking to be the center of attention in any situation. Of course, now the years are ticking by faster, so I guess it IS a matter of aging.

      Delete
  2. My 30th birthday just about did it for me. I was a true bitch to everybody. But since then they haven't been too bad. I keep them really low key. Does the vet have any idea when Rocky will outgrow that eating rock stage will end? I think you're doing the right thing by getting him fixed sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thirty was definitely my worst. I don't know why I get so bummed out, but it has been going on for years so I don't think I will change.

      Delete
  3. Those fires sure do mess up the air. Stay in as much as possible. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY Gypsy. Have you started counting backwards? That would mean you are getting younger. Since I turned three quarters of century old, I feel like now would be a good time to reverse and start getting younger. I hope I didn't wait too long to do that.(grin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. The air is the worst I've ever seen. Poor Rocky needs some exercise but I'm not going far in this haze. I wish I had a treadmill I could walk on, as well as let Rocky run on it!

      Delete
  4. I always take my birthday off work so I can be a complete hermit for the day. Mine was yesterday. I had wanted to take my dog to Paradise Beach but it was way too smoky. Hoping it's better by the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed your "hermit day". I don't even like to walk my dog in this awful smoky haze, and wonder how long it is going to last. I think the fires are still burning so it may last a while longer. Stay safe.

      Delete
  5. Well I'm glad you let us know the reason for your being down and your not ill. I don't give much notice to my birthday it is what it is.

    The smoke from the fires must be awful yes if you can wear a mask it might help you but don't think Rocky will stand for wearing one. Feel so awful bad for all those people who died and the ones still missing. What a horrible way to die. So many homeless now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have TV so don't know what kind of info they are putting out. I feel so bad for all the folks affected by this fire - I did read somewhere that there are so many people unaccounted for, mostly seniors. When my son was here yesterday he wanted to discuss what I should do in various types of emergency situations. He said they will all feel better when I am living closer to Jeannie, and I'm ready to make plans to move. It is so ironic that I feel I"M the one who should be doing all the worrying about them, rather than the other way around.

      Delete
  6. I am just the opposite, I think of getting older as a goal that many of my ancestors did not make:) In fact, in 7 generations, I am now the oldest male in my family. I admit that is a little concerning, but what our my options😊 If you can enjoy most of your time here, your age does not matter since none of us gets out alive. Just enjoy the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am like you, I hate celebrating my birthday as a matter of fact not even my closest friends know when it is. That is why I was so pissed when my boss did the same thing yours did when I turned 40...he got my birthday information from HR...which I considered an invasion of my privacy.

    ReplyDelete