Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, July 9, 2018

All good things must end!

My wonderful vacation is nearly at an end and I will soon be boarding the train for my long journey across the country.

This past weekend Mike and I drove to Maryland where he booked rooms near the Baltimore airport.  He had meetings on Saturday; Ara met us at the hotel and on Saturday we drove to the suburbs of Washington DC to see my Aunt Lenora.  It was so good to see her again - I think she will celebrate her 88th birthday in September.  My first trip to Washington was to see her and her husband right after I completed the 8th grade, and I've been back often.  We saw a lot of each other for the years I lived in Northern Virginia.  This certainly has been a memorable trip for me, and I thank my son and his family for making it possible.

Before we returned to Maryland, Ara wanted to see my old condo, as she remembers visiting me there many times, so we drove to Tyson's Corner and walked around the condo bldg which brought back memories to both of us.   I have forgotten so much about the area with many of the roads turned into limited access highways, new bldgs that alter the skyline in many places, etc.  I was reminded of the saying, "You can't go home again."  I loved the area while I lived and worked there, but I'm glad I moved when I did.  I don't belong anyplace as "high powered" and  "fast moving" since I retired.

I started packing last night and have most of it done except for the "little things".  I'm going back with a suitcase that seems heavier than the one I came with! 

I hope I can get wifi on the train, but at least at the Chicago station where I'll have a fairly long layover so I might have a chance to post again soon.  Sorry about the lack of photos - I made the big mistake of installing the last upgrade on my Mac, which is absolutely awful as far as I'm concerned.  It changed everything including how I manage my photos, and many other features.  It also deleted every old version of updates, so there is no way to go back. 

9 comments:

  1. I hope you have a very good trip home with lots of good memories to keep. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a wonderful time and will cherish the memories. I've been able to see and do so much, which I didn't think I would ever get to experience again. I'm also looking forward to getting home and seeing the rest of my children and grandchildren.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, and I hope the trip home goes as smoothly as my trip to NY.

      Delete
  3. So great to hear that you had such a wonderful time. I know your east coast family loved having you there. The train ride sounds like fun. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I hope train is as the one that brought me here. I'm anxious to get home as I have so much to do to prepare for my upcoming eye surgery, but I've truly enjoyed the east this time.

      Delete
  4. I am glad you had such an enjoyable time with your son and his family. Have a pleasant trip home.

    I could not help but smile when I read you went to visit your old condo. About twenty years ago I took Mom to Austin to see our former house and it felt strange, it never is quite the same as we remember it.The whole area had changed it was full of condos and townhouses definitively not where I would want to live at this point in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My granddaughter remembers it from her childhood and has many happy memories of visiting me. I have mixed emotions - good and not so good - about it. I know I would never want to go back because of the heavy traffic 24/7. But I'm glad she can remember happy times.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete