Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, July 21, 2017

Target, Again!

I really don't like to shop there, but sometimes it's a quick trip to get certain items.  Two of my granddaughters are going to be here for about 4 hours this afternoon and I wanted to pick up a few things that would keep them busy.

I don't know about the Target stores where you live, but ours used to have a section right after you entered the store, where everything costs $1.  That section contained all sorts of interesting things for kids, all pretty cheap and if you wanted something more durable or innovative or expensive then you went back to the kids department.   I was surprised to see that everything is now $3, and one entire row contains items for $5 each.  Inflation?

I didn't buy any of the $3 crap, and only got a couple of items in the regular kids' art department.  I picked up some snacks I hope they like, plus two tubs of ice cream - things like chocolate chip cookie ice cream and one called  cake & ice cream - I hope they like it.  I also hope I don't get desperate enough to eat the stuff that is left over!  It's a well known  brand but I'm so partial to the organic vanilla I buy at Costco.

Driving home from Target - probably slightly over a mile, it became clear to me that this was a day I shouldn't be driving.   I did a couple of dumb things, not really bad things and nothing dangerous, but now I know today is not a driving day. 

I really need to shop for a pair of shoes asap, and hope Jeannie can maybe drive me out to the Mall this weekend - maybe I can drive myself if I go early enough.  I'm going to buy another pair of Clark's sandals.  I really love my Birkenstocks, but lately I have been trying to step out of them, or trip over my own feet when wearing them, and I think something with a strap behind the ankle will be safer.  The perils of getting old! 

I've received a few comments on yesterday's post and my purchase of vegetable seeds to plant.  I think I will give the seeds to my d-i-l Sarah, who has a garden that would amaze anyone.  Everything is in raised beds, and she herself constructed the wooden beds.  As far as what I plant, I'm sorry but I don't care for eggplant or any of the other suggested plants I could try - the seeds I bought were for spinach, chard, and kale - three of my favorite vegetables and the ones I eat most days of the week.  I'll be going to the farmer's market tomorrow morning and will look at their selection of plants - mostly I've just seen flowers and herbs, but I can always go to Home Depot for the veggies I like if necessary. 

This is what happens when I don't plan ahead, and instead do things on a whim.  It will all work out though.

9 comments:

  1. I like to shop on Sunday mornings. Fewer people, and traffic is lighter. Just verify when the store opens on Sundays, some don't open until noon. And don't go by any churches when they are about to leave. I like to be home by 12:15. I buy ice cream in 5 qt. pails. They are a nice size for container growing, just put several holes in the bottom. I have about 20 of them, too bad you aren't closer and I would give you some. Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that anytime between 9 and 12N is pretty good when I stay in my local area, which I almost always do. I will decide when I buy the plants whether to just try to find a place in my yard for them - the only place I don't have rocks is a small area with an oleander bush and a bed of flowering blue plants - I think they are heather.

      Delete
  2. Don't think you can grow any of those things you like until the weather gets a lot cooler. Do you have Dollar Tree out there? Everything in the store is always $1.00. It's not the same as Dollar General where things are the same $3 and $5 as you saw at Target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a wonderful Dollar Tree just up the street from me, but went to Target because I also wanted to buy some snacks & ice cream for the kids. I haven't ever bought food at the dollar stores.

      Delete
    2. Also, I know I will have to wait for cooler weather, especially to grow spinach. Right now I get green vegetables that I love at the farmers market.

      Delete
  3. I do not like Target at all and only in an emergency will I shop there. I know my daughter likes looking through that stuff for her grand kids but the last time she was very disappointed in the toys too and bought nothing.
    We love the Dollar Tree, my friend and I used to shop there all the time when we stayed up in the mountains. The frozen foods are fine and so are most of the other foods too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Dollar Tree, but I can't get everything I want there. Target is too skimpy with their customer service, in my opinion. The cashiers are great, but the way mgmt runs the store is ridiculous. They would really prefer that you use self-check out, which I refuse to do.

      Delete
  4. Everyone likes Ice Cream:) I rarely go to target, but the only part I really know is the Starbucks counter:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love ice cream and find it easy to get addicted to, so I try to not buy it at all. I've already had a big bowl since my granddaughters went home!

      Delete