Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

My new camp stove

It  arrived yesterday and I tried it out today - works perfectly!   I also found that Jeannie has my old one, but that's ok because when we go camping together we can have some versatility.  

Since I don't have much else to write about, I thought I would post some pictures I took of the stove.  (Click to enlarge)

Here is the packaged view:


And this shows how the the butane cannister fits.  The lid would be closed over the cannister when using the stove.



The photo of the controls is kind of fuzzy, but you can at least see that it is very uncomplicated and easy to figure out.  Exactly the way I like things to be!


You just turn the switch to the Ignite spot  (the lightning bolt after MAX); you hear a clicking sound and then the sound of the flame, and you're good to go.  You can then adjust the flame.  I tried it this morning and it works perfectly.  (I can't remember the exact price I paid for either stove, but I think they are somewhere around $30.)

I have only used a butane stove for boiling water to make coffee in my Melitta, so I really don't know how much cooking time you would have on a can of butane.   I originally bought a 12-pack of butane cannisters at Korean Plaza here in Rancho, but on a trip there today  I couldn't find them.  They were very inexpensive, but I haven't looked anyplace else to find them.  I might try Walmart and Home Depot.  Oh, and the stove fits nicely into a hard plastic shell case with a handle that locks it and makes it easy to carry and to store.

I'm still debating on going to the gym for a walk, although it is getting hot outside and I hate to go out in it.  Some people say they prefer to walk outdoors, and I would have agreed years ago.  Today, between the heat and the air pollution I just prefer walking in a controlled environment, at a place where I am welcomed like a princess (or maybe I should say like a Dowager Queen - my princess days are long gone).  Also I can tell the exact distance I've walked. 

So I think I will just do it !

19 comments:

  1. Oh Gypsy, I have camp stove envy! It's beautiful and perfect for just one person. If it wasn't for the terrible heat it might make me want to go camping somewhere nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camping in the heat is no fun. I hope to get up into at least the foothills in a couple of weeks where it should be a little cooler. And I will enjoy my coffee in the morning!

      Delete
  2. What fun! I am looking forward to hearing your camping stories. Everything tastes better outdoors including the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everything tastes better outdoors, especially when the guys do the cooking! I think we are going camping in a couple of weeks, and I'm looking forward to it. Now I need to get my gear together.

      Delete
  3. A few years ago we had a power outage here in north Texas in the winter. Were without power for hours. Skinny Old Man really suffered. Partly because it got really cold, but just as importantly because he had no way to make his coffee or hot tea. I bought that butane stove from Amazon, and ordered a dozen cans of butane. Also got a My Buddy propane heater. We have tried both items. They work. But, of course, since we are ready, there have been no repeats of power outages in the winter. Yours is more likely to get used! Hope you have fun times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I think alike, Rose. My next purchase is going to be the Mr. Buddy Heater and a stock of propane cannisters. I'm still fretting about what to put in my coffee if half & Half or even milk become unavailable. I will probably learn to drink it black. I don't like canned milk, but I guess I should get a small can and re-try it sometime - it might be better than I remembered. I hope you don't have any power outages, but glad you are ready for a couple of the most important things!

      Delete
  4. We run out of cream for our coffee and don't want to travel the distance to get it. My husband discovered this one: Hoosier Hill Farm Heavy Cream Powder. It doesn't have all the fillers found in coffee creamers. It works okay. Just FYI.

    https://hoosierhillfarm.com/Hoosier-Hill-Farm-Heavy-Cream-Powder-Jar-1-Pound.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the link - I might just get a jar of this powdered cream and try it out.

      Delete
    2. If you decide to get the powdered cream -- Because it doesn't have fillers it is harder to dissolve. Some of the campers put it in a jar of water the night before and shook it. I use milk at home.

      BTW, really like your stove. I believe in simple, effective, and inexpensive. Looks like you found it.

      Delete
    3. Thanks very much for the tip. I will probably add water and store it overnight as you suggested. I'm going to get some at the grocery today and will try it out at home before taking it on a camping trip.

      Delete
    4. At home I use milk and a blender and put it in a jar for the fridge. We just made some up this morning.

      Delete
  5. Great looking stove. I second the Easy is important opinion. LOL at "Dowager Queen"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love it when I find a product that is easy to use and intuitive. I don't like a lot of icons and too many steps - I think anyone should be able to pick up a product and be able to use it with only minor instructions.

      Delete
  6. That is the same stove I was going to get to travel with this summer. Glad to know it is easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having used one for several years when traveling or camping I can say it is the easiest to set up and use I have ever seen. I used to use the 2-burner Coleman propane stove, and they are fine for cooking more than one thing at a time, but for making coffee or something simple I love the 1 burner.

      Delete
  7. Lately I have been walking inside the Walmart A/C. Too hot outside for an old man. Walmart is the only building big enough to get decent walking in here in this small town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes when I'm trying to talk myself out of going to the gym I will remind me that I've walked around the supermarket, or Walmart, or Target, but I'm usually pushing a cart and stopping to look at things. It would probably be nice to just walk around the store with eyes straight ahead. I have also known of people who drive to a mall (if you can still find one) and walk indoors in all kinds of weather.

      Delete
  8. I like the camp stove, been looking at them for awhile. I have a really nice one but it's getting pretty heavy lately. I have seen a similar one to yours that is inter changeable from propane or butane. I wonder how long the butane lasts too.
    You can now buy coffee creamer in those little cups and it doesn't need to be kept cold. I had some for quite some time and they were fine.

    Hope you get to go camping I'll be waiting to hear about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw something recently about how many meals you could cook with a cannister of butane, but since I doubt I'll ever cook a full meal with it I didn't pay any attention. You could probably search online for an estimate.

      Delete