Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Swamp Cooler

Chuck (of Chuck & Anneke's RV Travels) asked about my reference to the swamp cooler.  I wrote a fairly lengthly explanation on how it worked, but thought a photo would be a good reference as well.  I would have to walk way down the street to get mine in a photo, so I took a picture of my neighbor's swamp cooler from out of my side window.  I would imagine that most of the older mobile homes in this Park have them, but no doubt the later models have gone to A/C.  To tell the truth I much prefer the cooler to an a/c unit.





(Ed's house isn't quite as close as it looks, but I used the zoom feature to get the cooler as close as possible.  Click on the picture to enlarge it.)


Earlier this morning (when it was cooler) I decided to go to Costco, the library, and to the gym to walk; laziness and the heat took over and I figured I could do without any of those trips.  About 2 hours later when it had warmed up even more, I made up my mind to go to the gym.  I'm so glad I did - I've been neglectful about going but it is really important to my overall health to walk a mile or so every day.  So I just went to the gym, and am asking myself if I really want to go out of the house again.  I'll need to get milk and 1/2 & 1/2 tomorrow, so maybe I'll just wait and go out as early as I can make it.  Costco doesn't open until 10am so that throws a wrench in the works, and I'll probably just make a quick trip to the grocery.

I've been thinking about trying to use most of the contents of my freezer with the intent of buying a new fridge soon.   Then I keep buying more items that go into the freezer, so I may as well not worry about it.  The fridge still keeps everything cool and the frozen stuff frozen, but it makes some weird noises lately and I would hate for it to go out suddenly, leaving me with a lot of food that would go to waste.  The fridge is just one of several big ticket items I need and I hate to spend the money just now.  I need a new dishwasher although I can always wash dishes the old fashioned way if I have to.   Living on a fixed income sure ain't easy most of the time!

I think the couch is calling me for a rest, if not a nap.  Have a good day, whatever you are doing.


5 comments:

  1. I have been making the same plans every evening, doing a run to the store doing run to donations and other things and like you laziness and the heat have me doing none of those things. Don't know how much is laziness as it is this horrible heat not even the mornings are nice anymore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my body is telling me to not go out in this heat - it just isn't good for anyone, especially older folks. I remember in the days before A/C that many people died in this kind of heat every year.

      I don't know what your weather forecast is showing, but if I can hold out to the weekend it will probably go down to the upper and middle 90's.

      Delete
  2. A couch call is one that mast not be refused. When we modernized the farmhouse way back in the 80's, we put in a dishwasher and then never used it. Eventually we thought we would use it once when we had a big thanksgiving and SO many plates etc. Turned it on and water everywhere. The seals had dried out from lack of use. We just took it out and put shelves below a butcher block. Dishwashing was and is a social time. Even when David isn't here, I listen to NPR while I wash and dry. When there was the 3 of us, the two that didn't cook washed and dried and laughed and talked. With the two of us we do the same thing although the cook often reads to the washer/dryer these days. David's idea of drying is to put all the dishes on a towel and let them dry themselves over night. I don't like the clutter. I dry. Guess that's WAY more than you ever wanted to know about our dishwashing habits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were without A/C for a couple of days and the refrigator seemed to resent it. I learned a trick when I lived in Houston during a hurricane preparation show. Freeze small water bottles or plastic containers so when the power goes out your food will stay frozen longer and you can also use the bottles as ice for the items in the regular refrigerator that you can transfer to an ice chest.

    I do not have a stand alone freezer but another tip was to freeze one gallon milk containers which when thawed you can use for drinking, or personal hygiene since water is sometimes turned off during disasters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have about 6 or so gallon bottles of spring water I bought one time when they were trying to terrorize us with worries about floods, earthquakes, tsunamis, or something like that. That wouldn't last long in a real emergency and it's difficult to find a place to store them out of site. I just don't have room in my fridge or freezer.

      Delete