Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Almost forgot to post!

I have been listening to a 2-hr YouTube video and nearly forgot to write a blog post.

I have been sleeping at least an hour later every morning, and don't know if it's just the time change or if it's me.  I don't like to sleep late because I feel my best in the first two or so hours of the day, and really enjoy having at least a couple of good breakfasts.

Joe came by with his girls this afternoon and we had a great visit.  There really isn't much for kids to do around here, and they always want to play in the back yard which is just rocks and a very small area at that.

I tried just wearing the older pair of glasses and after walking around Walmart for about 15 minutes I developed the beginnings of a headache.  So I went back to the Optical dept. and asked them to put my current lenses into the older frames and now I'm ok.  I will never buy the titanium wire framed glasses again - although these older frames aren't as bad as the ones I ruined.  Those hurt my head and ears from the time I put them on, and it was never possible to adjust them properly.  The older ones seem to fit and feel much better.

I just skipped gym today but since I did a moderate workout last night I'm ok with letting my muscles just rest for a 24 hr period.

Today was a mostly rainy day with some bright sunshine now and then.  It really came down all last night and well into the morning.  One part of the side yard that was weed free now has green stuff growing.  I think it's futile to think they can ask residents to completely remove the grass & weeds until after the rainy season finally ends, and looking at my 15 day forecast doesn't show it ending - maybe a week's relief, but we aren't finished with the rain.

I need to make a visit to Straw Hat Pizza and arrange for our family visit.  We had a group text going last night and concurred on some of the details.  It will be so good to have all my children and grandchildren together at one time.

This afternoon I asked Joe and the girls how the father-daughter dance went.  Evidently each year they have a theme, and this year's was "A night out in Paris".  I think the girls tried to wear pretty fancy clothes, but I think Joe would wear the same thing in Paris that he would in NYC, Shanghai, London, or in Sacramento!  
 

12 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get your glasses fixed quickly.

    Weeds are going to big a huge problem this summer as it has already become a problem. Maybe some day I will do the pre treatment that should not allow them to grow at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that unless you have some pretty heavy-duty plastic down a foot or so, you can't control the weeds & grass that will grow and pop up through the soil. I've been using the pre-treatment but it hasn't seemed to stop anything from growing. I would check into horticultural strength vinegar as suggested by one of my blog readers, which is 10% acid rather than the food grade 10%. Unfortunately I haven't felt like going to Home Depot to get the strong stuff. I think it's going to be a bad summer here and probably in your area as well.

      Delete
    2. You might consider a pound of good grass seed and covered with straw. When you destroy the weeds, what is left? Grass destroys weeds; I have no good results with weed KILLER; I dislike brown and dead and weeds always come back, sooner or later. You could lay black plastic garbage bags and over lapped. This will kill ANYTHING.

      Delete
    3. I've thought of just planting grass but that brings its own problems, as I can see in my next door neighbor's yard. Also, I don't have a lawn mower and don't want to get one at my age! If my kids can help me get most of the weeds pulled, they can then start laying heavy duty plastic down and we will put a good layer of rocks on top of that.

      Delete
  2. If you have just rock out back this article has some suggestions: http://www.bhg.com/gardening/pests/insects-diseases-weeds/winning-the-weed-war/

    They suggest laying heavy plastic over it in the hot sun for a few days. They also mention rock salt or even borax.

    Hope you win the war on the weeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm to the point where I don't care about winning a war on the weeds (I know it will never happen!). I just want to get the damn inspection over with!

      Delete
  3. Don't know how you manage to post daily. Sounds like ruining your old glasses had a silver lining. Did you get them at walmart so they had your latest prescription? Every time I've tried to put new lenses in old frames, it ended up costing as much or more than getting new frames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Walmart Optical is a separate entity from Walmart itself, and they are a very good and reliable operation. When I picked out the frames last year I didn't realize I had chosen the same as the year before, but I didn't see anything I liked better so I just went with them. Normally I dont try to just replace lenses into old frames because they can't guarantee it will work, but in this case I didn't have much choice. It was fine and there was no charge to me for the service.

      Delete
  4. We fight a constant weed battle too. But our lot is small so it's not too bad. Rattlesnakes have become a real issue with the record heat we've had. Rainy and cooler finally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be terrified if I saw a rattler out there - the weeds are bad enough and they say the mosquitoes will be horrific this year.

      Delete
  5. They say that the first thing to go is your mind. That means you are still a very young person because you have a very sharp mind. Did I say that the first thing to go is your mind????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all seriousness, I worry about my mind going. Not so much that I can't remember everything or think of a word instantly, but totally losing track. It always makes me feel better when I can work a challenger crossword puzzle, although that probably is just an indication that my mind is full of trivia!

      Delete