Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

More on the Dog Park

I spoke with the Park manager this morning when I went to pay my rent, about the problems with barking, growling dogs.  The last straw for me was on Saturday morning just before 7:30, when someone's dog started barking furiously and the owner blew loudly on a whistle; the barking didn't stop, and the whistle was blown again;  this kept up and finally the owner must have realized it wasn't going to stop the dog.  He or she needs to take their dog to a training class and maybe find out if, how, and when to use a whistle.  The manager had included something about the situation in the monthly news booklet they publish, and it seems there are fewer people and dogs in the enclosure for the past couple of days.  Maybe they would rather stay away than comply with standards of respect and decency!  

The temperature is on the way up to 100 today.  The difficult part is that it has been staying warm until very late in the evening - the marine layer is not coming in over San Francisco and the coast, and is not sending the wonderful Delta breeze up to Sacramento.

I recently bought a radio which I'm going to return as it doesn't help me one bit.  I like to listen to public radio and stations in that part of the dial (not the religious ones though), and the radio I bought gets only the rock stations, both on FM and AM.  I'm going to return it and try Best Buy to see if they still sell a boom box type of radio!  I am planning to cancel my TV service next month as I can't see any print on the screen from where I sit.  I can't read the Guide, or anything else in print, and since there really is very little I want to watch, I might as well just cancel.  I'd like to listen to public radio although their news has deteriorated to almost the level of the cable and network news, which is rock bottom!  I need to figure out a way to get news I can rely on - right now I look at Google News headlines, and only click on what I'm interested in.  The biggest problem with it is that it leaves so many cookies on my computer, mostly ads.  I have ad blocker, but still get the cookies - hundreds of them in just a few days!

It was so warm yesterday evening that I went to a nearby convenience store and bought two overpriced Klondike bars.  I saved one for this evening.  Other than intensely disliking the heat and being a little lazy, I feel great!  I can see that I need to run any errands first thing in the morning though.

 

11 comments:

  1. IF you use Google Chrome browser, right click the icon when starting and choose "new incognito window". On the first screen that comes up it explains how it works. I've been using incognito mode exclusively for months to keep from getting all the extra junk stored on my computer. For Firefox you can right click and choose "new private window" and MS IE it's 'Start InPrivate Browsing". I assume those all work the same but my experience is with Chrome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I uae Firefox browser and since I'm familiar with how it works (if they don't start changing it too much), I'll stick with it. My eyes make it difficult for me to read instructions and figure out new stuff. I am going to try to reduce my computer usage, which should drastically cut down on the junk that gets stored on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Sunday we will be at 109, This is not to my liking at all and I don't think this summer is going to be very productive for me, with super high electric bills.
    I don't know how old your TV is but ask one of your kids to look at the menu to see if the wording can be made larger like the computer. I know I have to get the kids to help me with even figuring out the phone but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using the TV that was bought for my Granddaughter (Ara's) room years ago. It is a big old set, not digital, and I've always liked it better than the flat screen, short and wide tv's. I'm just about finished with watching it though I might ask one of the kids to see if they can hook up some kind of antenna so I can get local stations.

      Delete
  4. You can stream NPR along with other stations online (KMVR is the community radio station in Grass Valley)... no need for one of those new fangled radios!

    As for the TV, I know the digital antennas work pretty well. Maybe Donald can keep his eye out for one, I think they still get the Sac Bee on Sunday with all of the ads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to cancel ATT altogether, so I will need to find an internet provider. I want to reduce the amount of time I'm online, so would prefer to just turn on a radio and get NPR and other stations I like. A digital antenna that would get me basic local channels would be great.

      Delete
  5. Barking that early is ridiculous. Interesting that they have rules about weeds and fines I thought but nothing about barking with fines. Sorry you are so near the dog park but they carry for blocks so it might not matter. Just louder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For all the skepticism I have about Park management, they seem to be aware of and trying to do something about the barkiong. The really bad stuff has been reduced. Leslie told me she went down to investigate a complaint - an old man and woman bring 2 little dogs who bark and growl constantly - they probably sound more vicious than they are. Leslie said the couple tried to control the barking and the woman was beating one dog with a stick. I told her that they only tried to control the dogs because she was there - I know when they come into the park as they are the absolute worst and the old folks don't do a thing to control it.

      Delete
  6. Barking that early is ridiculous. Interesting that they have rules about weeds and fines I thought but nothing about barking with fines. Sorry you are so near the dog park but they carry for blocks so it might not matter. Just louder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might want to try internet radio where you can tune in stations from all of the world. some are college radio stations. I bought one for about $99 from C. Crane in Fortuna CA. Maybe you could get one of your kids to take a ride up there some day and check them out.With internet radio, you can get your choice of over 15,000 stations. You might be able to get one from Ireland. It will require a router and wifi. THe have a good internet site to see what they have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen to some internet radio, such as KGRA, which often features Richard Dolan who I really like. He speaks about UFO matters but is also an incredibly commentator on worldwide political situations. As I said above, I would like to reduce the time I need to have my computer connected. It turns out to be a bigger time waster than TV, for the most part.

      Delete