Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Constant Changes

I really dislike it when a program that works for me is constantly updated and changed, even though the changes themselves are ok.  I tried to write a new post the same way I always have, and then realized that blogger now has a button on my blog for "New Post".  I wish they would just leave things as they are as I'm tired of forever wondering why I can't do things I want to do.  Google and all its programs are different; AOL is different; Firefox is totally out of control different; and just about every program I loved and used constantly. The only reason I can see is that it keeps the developers employed.

I have been drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning since the beginning of April, and starting tomorrow I think I'm just going to try warm water only.  My chiropractor told me several months back to drink a glass of warm water first thing in the morning, and I tried it but didn't keep up with it for more than a couple of days.  Nothing appetizing or tasty about warm water, and really that goes for warm lemon water when you think about it.

I have been plagued with indigestion and heartburn especially since my gallbladder was removed, and for a while the lemon water seemed to clear it up.  Now I'm finding I have more indigestion than ever, especially waking up in the middle of the night.  I googled it and found that some people have trouble with indigestion from drinking lemon water or using a lot of lemon in anything, so I'm going to give it a try and just drink the warm water.  The benefits touted for lemon water are the removal of toxins from the liver, kidneys, etc., but the indigestion is starting to trump any benefits I've noticed.

I'm writing this because I posted about it on my blog when I began drinking the warm lemon water, and I just want people who decided to try it to know that there could be problems depending on your body's reaction to it.  If the indigestion doesn't go away when I stop using lemon, then I will know I have another problem.  I have never felt absolutely great since they removed my gallbladder.

I finally got the driveway fairly swept clean, except there is a red dust from cutting the tile out there.  I will eventually have to hose it off although I just hate doing that with the drought conditions we've had and will no doubt return to this summer.  There are a lot of spots of unknown origin but probably related to the remodel, and I think I may resurface the driveway later on this year.  

I remember doing it when I lived in Cincinnati, but it was a much smaller driveway.  I will need to get the driveway power washed or at least hosed down, and then just take my time.  The steps and landing to the side door will be a pain in the a** - it's heavy but will have to be moved so I can spread the stuff in that area, wait for it to dry, move the steps back, and then continue on.  I haven't decided if I should start at the street and work back, or vice versa.  I have an old pair of shoes, t-shirt, etc. that I've been intending to throw out, but which will be perfect for the job.  I always get it all over me, whether it's paint or anything else.  I have to wait until the gravel from the back yard is pulled up, and new stuff delivered (and dumped on the driveway).  Not sure when that will happen.  The boys have promised to move the gravel for me, but spreading the blacktop coating on the driveway is something I think I can still do. 

I'm hoping to go to the gym tonight - have really been lax about even walking on the treadmill since I've been back.  I need to get in the habit of taking an hour out of my mornings to drive over and back, and walk for half hour or so.  Although I feel good overall, I can't help but wonder if there is something wrong with me that saps all my energy.  I never feel like doing anything, and can't seem to summon up the energy to even care.  I'll just chalk it up to growing older because I'm sure not going to see a doctor if I can help it!

18 comments:

  1. I am in the same boat you are when it comes to constantly changing technologies. Google has brought us all some truly great stuff but they are a young persons company & with their fast paced changes going on many of we older folks have been left far behind in the dust. I'm Ok if I can get onto something then keep using it every day but change one little thing in the routine I have become used to & I am ass over teakettle right into the soup of confusion........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Al, you put it so succinctly about what happens when there is even a minor change. Technology is definitely designed for younger people, and it's just gravy to the companies that most older folks have gone over to the hi tech phones, computers etc. So they don't have to care about those of us who are unhappy with what we are getting. I used to be so happy with Apple, but they have gone the way of Microsoft and other companies with their constant updates.

      Delete
  2. Interesting to hear about your change to just warm water. I have been drinking warm water in the mornings and during the winter at other times during the day for years. I put a slice of lemon in it sometimes if I have one but started using 1/2 lemon in the morning when you recommended it. Haven't had any indigestion that I know of. I"m with you on thinking they change computer programs just to have something to do. And usually what it does is mess things up at least for me. I have had nothing but trouble every since Microsoft stopped supporting Live writer and blogger is no longer friendly with the new Open Live writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that the lemon is causing my problems, and as I have said, removing my gallbladder left me with almost as many problems as it solved. If I still have the indigestion when I stop the lemon, then I will really wonder what's going on.

      Delete
  3. I had started doing the lemon water in the morning as I read so many blogs and other things about it. I did it for a month and didn't notice any changes what so ever. So I quit, but I make a big drinking cup with lemon slices and cucumber just because it is so refreshing. But I do not exceed that 32oz cup then switch to plain water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubts there are benefits that are there whether or not you can feel the difference, but I did read that a person with gall bladder issues might not be able to do the lemon. I'm going to stop for a couple of weeks and just drink a gladd of warm water instead. If I still have the indigestion then I might go back on the lemon water 2 or 3 days a week.

      Delete
  4. I share your believe that they change or update programs just to keep developers employed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as Al B. says, it's a young person's world and they really don't care if older people like it or not. Enough older folks use it that it doesn't worry the tech companies at all.

      Delete
  5. I've received some relief from dried peppermint tea with a little honey. Also, fresh ginger root tea is so nice. I did a google search for the benefits to get an idea why they help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't stand honey but I do have several types of organic tea bags including peppermint, rosemary ginger, and ginger aid. I love the one with rosemary the best. I have fresh ginger on hand so might try brewing it and see what I think.

      Delete
    2. I meant to write raspberry ginger (not rosemary).

      Delete
    3. Maybe you can add a little sweetness with Lo Han (Amazon has it) or perhaps a bit of organic maple syrup.

      Delete
    4. I habe organic maple syrup that I haven't used since I took a good look at the sugar content! I don't drink a lot of tea, and when I do I usually take the easy way out and use a tea bag. I might try just using a slice of fresh ginger.

      Delete
  6. Well, it is the ginger that really counts. I happen to hate stevia and most types of alternative sweeteners myself and drink my peppermint tea straight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put some thinly sliced fresh ginger into my teapot and added boiling water, let it steep. I think it tastes delicious as it - I wouldn't want to add any kind of sweetener, but some people might. I like the ginger flavor. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  7. I had a friend who had her gall bladder removed and I didn't really understand what the gallbladder did or why she had digestive problems. I ran across this article and it gave me some understanding of your problem. (A real bummer). It mentioned other teas that were helpful as well as ginger and also recommended digestive enzymes such as lipase. Just FYI -- you may already know this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your interest and suggestions. I began taking a probiotic and two turmeric capsules every morning about a year ago, and they make such a difference. I haven't had much of a digestion problem until the past week or so, and i don't know where it's coming from unless it's the half a lemon I squeeze into a glass of water every morning. This morning I had just plain warm water, and iI'll have to see how it goes. Thanks again.

      Delete
  8. I forgot the gallbladder link. Duh . . . https://www.richters.com/show.cgi?page=QandA/Medicinal/20020603-1.html
    You probably have researched this issue many times over. Hopefully, you will find some relief soon. I'm wondering if your trip (change of locale, time change, food, etc.) could have had an impact. Perhaps now that you are back home and back into your routine, your digestion will settle back down.

    ReplyDelete