Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

New home phone service

I had my home phone activated about a week ago and until this morning have not had an incoming call.  So far I've only given the number to my four children.   Today, it isn't even 9:30 am yet, and I've had 3 calls:  one recorded message from the IRS stating that they were filing a lawsuit against me for unpaid taxes; a sales call to sell me ADT home security services; the third call I hung up on before finding out what their pitch was.  If this is what I can expect from a home phone then I think I made a mistake ever getting it.

When I started using my cell phone exclusively I really missed the old style phone, and to be truthful I can certainly hear better on it.  But if it is going to be a magnet for sales calls then it's just a big scam.  Too bad I let nostalgia get in the way of common sense.

The cloud cover is gone this morning and we are set to have a hotter day today.

I registered my phone, which has been ringing every few minutes, on the Do Not Call list.  I sure hope it eventually cuts down on the unwanted calls.

The past 2 days I started trimming some bushes and plants in the back yard that have become way overgrown.  I now have a blister on my thumb where I gripped the clippers, so I won't be doing any more trimming for a while.

My son was here to check out the water heater this morning, and we got to talking about campers.  He said they are thinking about a tent camper which would work well for their family, space-wise, and he can raise and lower it easy enough.  I am still intent on buying a teardrop trailer, and Steve said he can do the hitch assembly for me when I'm ready.  I will wait to buy a trailer until winter sets in, unless a very good deal comes along in the meantime.  I am so anxious to do some camping but will probably end up going by myself since it's difficult to get the family together on a time and place.  The fires are the biggest drawback right now. 

10 comments:

  1. That seals the deal for me - I will never have a land line again. I have it when the cell rings and I don't know who it is. I won't answer. Hope you find a great deal on a small trailer. That would be easier than sleeping on the ground in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a cell phone and I get a call from some company in Phoenix almost daily about an extended warranty on my seven year old car. I'd like to send them a poison pen letter. They are driving me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far, our cell phones have not been getting any unwanted calls, but our landline does. We just let the answering machine take the calls and only answer in person the ones we want to talk to or call back. Of course we even get sells stuff through the U.S. mail, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. -The calls got so bad I had to change my cell phone # Yesterday on FB someone posted this number to register a no call list - 888-352-1222 next week cell phone #s go public so you might want to get this done ASAP.

    I was also giving some thought to the pop up as a last resort for camping. While we have discussed the runaway I had to realize it didn't give me much more room than my truck camper. If I want to stay away for extended summer trips I will need something more, I am still hoping to find a small trailer maybe 13'. It will be great that your son will be able to do your hitch that will save quite a bit of money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I get a call on my cell trying to sell me something, I hang up and then type in SALES CALL where you put the person's name. Then the next time they call, SALES CALL pops up and I ignore it. I have four companies with that name now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need caller ID and an answering machine. We seldom answer a number we don't know. Our crank calls are getting fewer and fewer. I guess they are getting tired of the answer machine. The Do Not Call List is a joke. The crooks don't pay any attention to that at all. If you have Directv and caller ID you can run a phone line to the satellite box and the call information and number will come up on the TV screen.

    That's a good suggestion to put sales call on the cell phone. I don't get many of that kind of calls on my cell phone yet. Usually just wrong numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just at Verizon getting a new cell phone and mentioned the problem of sales calls by the ton coming in on my phone. The guy said to call the customer service at your phone company and request to have all 800 numbers blocked. he made the call for me and today no calls have been received.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After having the same landline number for 35+ years, I hated to shut it down. Of course we relied more & more on our cell phones. Almost never get sales calls on the cells. It came to pass that we would get maybe 10 calls a week on the landline. All junk calls. What? For the privilege of getting those calls we were paying about $40 a month? The problem with the do not call list is that there are so many exemptions. Most of the calls we were getting were from organizations that were not bound by the list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going to suggest the do not call but since you've done it then an inexpensive answering machine would really help. Robo calls hang up when they get the answering machine and you can let it run for all your calls and just tell your family you'll pick it up when you hear their voices. It's true that a land line is a clearer line and thus easier to hear for everyone not just those of us with aging ears.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a land line here in Bayfield with sales calls coming in too but our answering machine takes care of it. I stopped answering phones when I quit drinking nearly 35 years ago I will only answer it after our machine picks up the call & I can hear who it is on the other end. And usually if it isn't Kelly I still don't pick it up..............

    ReplyDelete