Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, July 25, 2014

Another week gone by

On Wednesday I went to see Liam's swim lesson but he decided he didn't feel like swimming, so we just sat and talked, then went out for dinner.  I had tortilla soup that was so spicy I thought it would give me a problem later, but I felt fine.  Spent the night at their house and then came back home yesterday about mid-morning.  

Going camping for even a day requires a lot of work getting things packed and ready to go, and even more work afterward to get things unpacked, cleaned up and put away.  My coolers are emptied and dry but I still have to carry them out to the storage shed, but other than getting a few remaining items from the back of the car I am pretty well finished.

August is not the best month for me to plan another camping trip - my sister is getting married on the 9th so I will be out of town for at least a couple of days for that.   There is also a baby shower for someone whom I feel very close to on the 23rd, so I am going to skip the reunion at Lassen on that date; I also have an appointment to see my eye surgeon in August.  If everything was crammed in just one or two weeks I would have a window of opportunity to get away for a few days, but the events are all spaced out during the entire month of August.  My plan is to wait until the Tuesday or Wednesday after Labor Day and then head for the Trinity Alps.  There are so many camping, hiking, and backpacking possibilities there and planning will be fun.  I hope the weather will be cooler as well, but you just never know.  I think this time i will definitely carry bear spray - I never needed it in the past although my experience has been in the east.  From what I read in the way of hikers' journals though, bear activity is up in the east as well as just about everywhere else.   As long as we are talking about black bears I don't get too spooked, but I think my heart would stop if I ever met a grizzly face to face!

I don't think I mentioned how great my new hiking boots are.  Of course I didn't do any serious miles in them, but the short time I wore them they felt great!  I am hoping to give them a good work-out before winter.

I have been so lax about going to the gym since Jeannie & Donald are on vacation.  I should try to get there this evening but I'm just not motivated right now.  I think once I get there I will be enthused to go back regularly, but dragging myself out in the heat is the hardest part.

Ok, I'm gonna get dressed and make this day count.   Lately I've been wanting a couple more hours sleep than I usually need - don't know why but I must need it for some reason and I hope I can soon get back to a more normal schedule.

7 comments:

  1. Back when I was 16 years old, I ran around the back of my Uncle's Airstream and ran face to face with the a big Grizzly. I will never forget how huge its head was. Luckily for me, it walked off as if nothing had happened. I just stood there with a dumb expression on my face. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were going to SD for your driver's license renewal this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your August is pretty full. September is better since the kids are back at school and the campgrounds aren't so crowded and the weather is cooler.
    The pack up and put away was the part I really hated about camping. I love just taking everything with me all the time. Wish you could do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep... that's why going a couple of hours to the beach isn't a good thing until AFTER Labor Day.

    Busy busy busy! good for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know unpacking is a real pain and can make quite a mess. But the trip makes it OK. I think your right about not going until after Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The days are flying by. Before we know it summer will be over, which I will be ok as the heat seems to be taking a toll on me..Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that having to clean and put up stuff after camping is the least favorite part, but as I am doing it I focus on the good time I had and it seems to help.

    I so miss my camping van because I always had it packed and ready to go at a moments notice and did not bother to unload it until I had time.

    September seems like an excellent month to go camping as most folks will be back in school or work.

    ReplyDelete