Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, July 11, 2014

Improvement

Thanks to everyone who has written encouraging comments and stories about adopting older pets and the adjustment period needed by both pet and adopter.  I have come sooooo close to returning Bear to Lab Rescue, but I think I can see a wonderful dog underneath his clumsy efforts to please (please himself, often, and sometimes to please me!)

We went to Petsmart this morning as I wanted to take back the senior food that contains grains, and bought a smaller bag of grain free.  In looking at Bear's records I don't think he is very overweight, if at all.  The vet who gave his rabies shot in June weighed him at 84.11 lbs. and for the type of lab he is that isn't really overmuch.  He has a stocky build and head which is typical of some lines of labrador retriever.  I'm still going to try to not overfeed him.   Also on the vet's paperwork he had estimated Bear to be 5 or 6 yrs old according to his energy level, then crossed it out and wrote 11 yrs.  They determined the age from the microchip, and it's a shame the owners hadn't sent in their own information.  I wonder if they ever tried to locate him or if they just let him go.  One of the other senior rescue lab's story is that the owners turned the dog in to Rescue because they wanted to get a puppy.   What a throwaway world they must live in.

I bought several bags of good treats and will work on obedience - he's obviously had training but it's been a while since he's been put to the test.  Me too.  One thing I won't ever do again is to take him into Petsmart.  It's worse than trying to shop with a small child in tow.  We also bought a squeaky ball which I will probably hear in the middle of the night but my mood will improve greatly when I finally get a good night's sleep.

I haven't heard otherwise so I'm sure Jeannie & family made it to the airport and got off ok.   It was some ungodly time of the morning, which is why the girls had their nightgowns on in the picture I took.  They were going to wear them on the plane, and then change to regular clothes later on.  They are going to have such a great time - seeing Ara again; going to Sesame Place with Mike & Sandy, their boys, and Sandy's nieces who get along just great with Autumn & Arianna.  They will also be spending a few days at the beach, but I don't know which beach.  They will enjoy the warm Atlantic.

I hope by next summer I can get excited about a cross country trip, although Joe & Sarah have been talking about a trip to visit some of her relatives in Alaska and have invited us all along.  Alaska might trump the east coast since it's the only state I haven't been in yet.

I guess I'm hungry for lunch.  Getting up early messes with my meal times!  It's hard to believe that it's just 77 deg. at Noon but is supposed to get up to 92 before cooling back down.  It's really lovely just having the breeze blow through the house keeping things cool.

8 comments:

  1. Are you sure the microchip is correct? Bear sure doesn't look like he's 11 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for Alaska having just come back from there earlier this summer. It was fabulous. Probably won't ever be able to afford another trip back there, but it was fantastic. I'm so glad I went. It's so rugged and beautiful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Judy. He sure doesn't look like he's 11. I would have to take the squeaky toy away at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing how you and Bear are doing. It's like a continuing saga. Will he behave?? Will she run out of patience?? I can't even imagine ever taking my dogs into a store. You are a brave woman. Grab the chance to go to Alaska. You can go anywhere else much more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you dog is confused with so many people to try to please in the last few weeks/months?
    He's trying to please you from what it sounds like and eventually he'll understand what your rules are.
    Dogs will tell us what we need to know if we are just smart enough to listen. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like things are getting better. I also wonder like Judy if he is really that old. He looks much younger. The other day at the vet none of us could really figure out Fred's true age. We think it either 4 or 5. That year can really make a difference as far as medical goes. To me he is just my baby.

    WOW Alaska! would love to go but I don't think I can ever afford that trip. But if you can go I say go

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you and Bear will make a team yet:) For what it is worth-Alaska was a great experience for us and so glad we did not miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote with the rest...go to Alaska! From what I hear it is beautiful during the summer time.

    ReplyDelete