Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, September 30, 2011

Why I'm using a separate primer

I have had a lot of folks write to suggest I could cut my painting time by using one of the paints that already contains primer. I would do this if I was painting wallboard or plaster. The woman at Home Depot, who seems to be very knowledgeable as well as having practical first-hand experience, recommended Glidden's "Gripper" primer, because I am going to paint over laminate wood paneling that is nearly 45 years old, and Gripper doesn't chip as easily when used on wood and laminate surfaces. She tells me that I will get an even coat with this product, and that my paint will cover much better with less coats. I'm going to try it and am willing to do twice the painting if I get a better result, and if it maybe requires less paint in the long run then so much the better.

If I don't care for the results, I can always try the combination paint+primer on another room. My bedroom will be the "practice" arena. If it turns out I think I can do just as well with the primer+paint combination, then I can buy that for the living room and kitchen.

Another comment was about something I always thought was true, that is, don't feed the hummers when it's getting towards winter because you may delay their flight south. I have since read that birds are very instinctual and will travel when they must, no matter what you do. Then last year I read that there are some hummingbird species that winter over in the Sacramento area. It makes sense because of the normally mild winters, but I will look it up again and then decide whether or not to set the feeder out.

I appreciate the ideas and suggestions, and keep an open mind about them. (The nasty comments will be removed just as soon as I catch them.)

The carpet cleaner gave me an estimate of $100 to clean the carpets, which I'm happy enough to pay. I don't want to buy my own carpet cleaner since I eventually plan to get laminate flooring. I just want to move my furniture onto clean carpeting at first and the price seems ok. I withdrew the cash this morning to pay the man. I hope he can salvage the rug in the small bedroom that has been used by a smoker. The stale smoke is bad enough, but having smoked many years of my life I know that smokers have little (sometimes big) cigarette burns EVERYWHERE! On the clothes, furniture, carpet, etc. If they aren't too noticeable I'll just settle for the cleaning until I can tackle the laminate flooring.

I hope the anticipation doesn't keep me awake all night.

8 comments:

  1. I HAVE BEEN FEEDING HUMMERS HERE IN CENTRAL TEXAS FOR 45 YEARS AND HAVE ALWAYS LEFT MY FEEDERS UP TILL THE LAST ONE IS GONE. IF I TAKE THEM DOWN, THEY STILL KEEP COMING AROUND FOR 2-3 WEEKS LOOKING FOR FOOD. I HATE IT IF THE FEEDERS ARE NOT THERE. I THINK THEY KNOW WHEN IT'S TIME TO LEAVE. I HAVE A RECORD OF THE LAST ONE I SEE FOR THE YEAR AND IT'S USUALLY WITHIN A FEW DAYS...YEAR AFTER YEAR. PAT (LOVE YOUR BLOG BTW)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently used the paint/primer combo to cover a knotty pine wall. The paint is thicker than other paints. The color came out lighter than the paint chip and I had to use 2 coats - the same as if I used separate paint and primer, but I only bought one can. If you do buy the combo ask them if they think the color will be lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless it is wallboard in a light color, I always choose to prime first and paint later. Always seems to save me time and paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used the Glidon Gripper rimer with very good results over newer bare wood and new drywall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't paint so I can't even comment on your paint stuff. But as for hummingbirds - I say feed them until they are gone. They will leave when it's time. Sleep well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess we all have our own prefences when it comes to painting. I say do it your way and see what you like best.
    As for the Hummers I feel awful now because I took the feeder down.
    In Tucson they stay all year so I keep them feed in the winter specialy when we get freezing temps. I take them down at night so they don't freeze and hang them back up very early in the morning. I wrap the jar with a old dish towel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL can u delete my comment about hummers? It hit me later, YOU"RE in CA! And here in central TX, we have always been told to take them down. So, i'm NOT apologizing for that.
    I have always done my own painting. Not giving any advice,,,hahahaha,,
    Keep us updated. Enjoy ur posts a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trust yourself and your local advice is MHO. Painting and carpet cleaning will make the place shine. I always love the look of both.

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete