Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, September 19, 2011

A visit with Susan; medical tests

Yesterday I spent several hours with Susan at her beautiful "Spot", a Big Horn 5th wheel. It's amazing how much storage is in a 5ver, and in the case of this Big Horn, there is a tremendous amount of basement space as well. It is good to see a friend find exactly what she had been looking for and wanted, and I wish her many happy travels in it.

In just an hour or so I am leaving for the UC Davis MedCenter, which I hate driving to. It's not difficult to get there, but trying to find my way around the roundabout and into a parking garage is so aggravating. I will be getting a call from UC Davis soon about seeing a cardiologist, and I am going to ask for one who is in the suburbs, with free parking right outside the door. Those big centers are certainly not designed with the patient in mind.

I will be visiting the Vascular department, and getting a carotid scan as well as a dopler leg scan. I don't expect either of them to result in anything I don't already know, but at least I will get it out of the way for a while.

Now I'm worried that I've gotten my cholesterol down too low. I've been researching the subject, and it seems that when it goes too low the person is at a much higher risk of cancer and other problems. The cholesterol has come down over just a few years of taking 3 fish oil capsules a day, so I am going to cut down to two capsules until I get the results of the next blood test, to be taken tomorrow. For the blood tests I'm going to the UC Davis Center in Rancho Cordova which is right across the street from La Bou, my favorite croissant place. I'm going to have my coffee there, with at least two luscious buttery croissants! That will make up for having to fast for these tests!

Not much else except just waiting for news of when I can move into my house. I'll go ahead and place the order for DirectTV this week, and try to find a company for land line phone service only (no bundles wanted). I'm afraid I will have to go with AT&T, which left me with a very negative impression after using their air card (for internet) as well as the cell phone service. You may remember that I couldn't use the AT&T cell phone at all in my last apartment, even though the Verizon phone worked okay there. I wasn't the only one with the problem, and at nearly any time you could see residents walking around the parking lot to talk on their cell phones that didn't work indoors.

8 comments:

  1. I take one flax pill a day and my cholesterol went down 4 points from last year. I had only been doing tai chi for a month at that time so I think it's the flax. Anyway, my doctor was happy!

    These huge complexes are a huge pain and usually have huge parking charges to go with them. I like that my family doctor has free parking and is indeed in the 'burbs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugg, big hospitals, and that's the problem, they have too many patients who all arrive by car. U of KC Med had two roundabouts in front of two giant garages right at the main entrance. Patients being pushed all over in wheel chairs as folks clamored for a spot to pick them up. I was one of them a couple of hours ago.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just what is too low? Give us some numbers, lol.

    GL on all ur tests, been there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim's doctor told him to take two fish oil pills a day for his cholesterol. So maybe three is too many. Good luck at the doctor. We're lucky - here in Billings even at the big hospital complex, parking is easy or you can just do the free valet parking. Hope you get to move in pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck on your procedures, I hate going even the once every three months schedule I have now and it's basically a blood test, how ya feeling and see Ya visit.Be safe out there. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, best wishes on the medical stuff. I think we all dread it, but it has to be done. Your new home looks very nice...hope all goes well there too!

    ReplyDelete