Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, September 2, 2011

Homeless no more! (2nd post Sep.2)

I got a call from the Mobile Home Park to let me know my applications for residency and site rental were approved. That was quick - I just dropped the apps off this morning and was told it usually takes 2 or 3 business days. I had run my own credit report yesterday, which was sterling, so I didn't expect any problems in that regard.

A couple of days ago I was driving in the area and was feeling pretty sorry for myself. I have been homeless for the past several months and hadn't had much luck finding either an RV I liked, could afford, and could live in, nor was I able to find an apartment that I could see myself satisfied with. The fact that I was homeless kept running through my mind. But for about the past year my mantra has been "Go with the flow", and it is surprising how easy it has made my life. So I kept repeating those words when I felt myself sinking too low, knowing that somehow I always get what I need.

On a whim I drove into the Mobile park to see if there might be rentals available. I was told at the desk it was owner-occupied only, no rentals allowed. But the woman who talked to me pointed out an elderly lady standing around the curve of the counter, saying "You should talk to Yvonne; she wants to move into a newer unit and will give hers to you." It took me a few minutes to let that sink in, but I spoke with Yvonne and found out that indeed she wanted to move but couldn't keep her old unit, couldn't sell it, and was willing to give it away. She said "I thought maybe they could find someone who was homeless who would be able to take it over". Those words nearly blew me away.

So I arranged to return a couple of days later as she insisted the place was in a mess due to her planned move. I can certainly relate to how women feel about strangers coming into a messy house, even though most of us are messy at least some of the time. Two days later I returned (and she was right, it was pretty messy). It is a vintage (1963) model and in a tacky sort of way looks like it never moved out of the 60's. The model is a Budger, which I had never heard of.

Yvonne told me that it is not considered an actual singlewide and is not subject to property taxes. It does need to be registered with the DMV and a fee paid to that agency, although it doesn't need a license tag and can't be moved on its own - it looks just like a regular old vintage singlewide. There is lots I want to do on the inside, for example the walls are all old wood (or laminate) paneling, and I am going to prep them and paint them. The living room will be first, even before I move in. The carpeting is a chocolate brown color that I can live with for a while after getting it cleaned. I had thought of installing hardwood or laminate flooring, but the carpet isn't as bad as she led me to believe, and Lady will probably like it better than wood flooring.

The pet rules say that dogs should weigh no more than 35#, two pets per unit totaling no more than 75#. I asked how about one 75-pounder (Lady is on a diet from all the treats given to her by the grandkids), and they agreed.

The rent for the site is way less than what I paid last year for the apartment, and it is 2 bedroom, 1 bath. Added to the rent I will be paying a fee for storm drain, sewer, and trash collection, and the total is still less than the apartment rent. I feel so very fortunate that I can settle down, get all my things out of storage, and have a place to live and to return to when I travel. This Park also has storage for RV's, so in the future I may find myself getting another one. But for now I will be firmly planted on the ground and will be 1 mile from son Joe, 5 miles from daughter Jeannie, 200+ miles from son Steve, and about 3500 miles from son Mike.

20 comments:

  1. That's great, positive thinking helps. Have fun getting it set up the way you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo! Good for you. You know we'll want to see pics of your improvements. Some times, things just work out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take before and after pics! What a great thing to get! It's so perfect. Have fun, take your time and we're here to read every word. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may be a lot of work to get it fixed up, but you will be doing it your way on your own time. Sometimes fixing up can be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really good karma. Being in the right place at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations. Sounds perfect for you and like a win/win for you and the previous owner.

    Go With The Flow is a great mantra. I'll remember that.


    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, talk about being in the right place at the right time. I am so excited for you. I definitely want to see before and after pictures. And no upstairs neighbors. That is really good. 55+ is my idea of an ideal place. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad that your "go with the flow" worked so well for you. When I try that the flow goes down the drain (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you, how nice that things fell into place. You will have fun
    decorating it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is wonderful this worked out for u! Good luck and great times in your new abode!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really happy for you. Now you can have fun getting it the way that you want it. Give me a holler if you need help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great and it's always fun to fix er up your way...Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm happy for you. A bit of paint does wonders for walls and ceilings. Have fun and don't rush and make yourself unwell. Enjoy having your own place again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you. I wish I was so lucky. I would love to have a place to just open the door to the outside, and take Kandi out. Maybe I should look into a mobile?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so great how everything fell into place! sounds like a winner all the way around for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yahoo, hallelujah, and whoopie for you! Congratulations, and yes, we do want to see photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful turn of events for you! We live in a mobile home village, too, that has a small RV park that is mostly snowbirds and perms. But if someone in an RV visits us, there is a place for them to stay.

    We love the amenities and the closeness of the community. We feel comfortable going off on a trip knowing that our place is about as secure as it can get. It's the next best thing to fulltiming, which we had to give up a few years ago.

    Congratulations - I hope you find that it works out as well for you as it has for us.

    One caution - if you store an RV in an open field, be sure to make some provision for rodent control. Learned the hard way about this. ;->

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that is an amazing story. I think you will be happy having a place of your own now. Imagine that, a free home. Sort of like winning the lottery.

    ReplyDelete