Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, February 15, 2020

Recovering

After the really tiring walk to the vet and back yesterday, Rocky and I were both exhausted.  We went to bed a 8pm, and slept until 8am this morning.  I've felt tired all day but have accomplished some cleaning I wanted to do.  I just haven't been able to take a walk today, but I did throw a ball to Rocky, which he chases with all the energy he can muster.

The gardener came today and the back yard looks so good with the grass cut.  I wish the landlady would let me water it throughout the summer so it will continue to look like this.  I've written her and wait for her reply.

I was able to collect enough peas from the garden to cook some for my supper this evening.  They are so good, and I hope I get a few more meals from the plants.  There are lots of blossoms which I think indicates what I can expect.  It's probably not worth the space for what I'm getting though.  My tomato seedlings are coming along nicely.  I didn't think I would get so many healthy looking plants, although they still have some growing to do before I can say how many will prosper.  I planted several seeds in each cup and it hurts me to pull out and discard the smaller ones, but that will help the larger ones grow.

I will probably try to get a good night's sleep tonight, and hope I get my energy back soon.  Maybe I'll take the boy on a nice walk tomorrow.
 
My Nook reader (from Barnes & Noble) seems to have conked out, and I ordered and received today a Kindle.  I did what I could to set it up but will need Donald or Jeannie to actually finish the set-up and explain it to me.  One aspect of the Nook I didn't like, and it is probably the same or worse with the Kindle, is that it isn't just a "reader" anymore.  It is internet and all kinds of features I'd rather do on my computer.  That's the problem with devices these days - every device seems to try to do everything.  I'd prefer to use my phone for calls, messages, and photos, and my Kindle for reading books.  "Everything" wants to do "everything" and it doesn't work that well for me.  My kids are constantly staring at their phone, which is so multi-functional it makes me dizzy.    The only upside for me is one that I hope never happens:  if technology one days completely fails, I will be able to deal with events because I have never totally relied on technology in my life.



9 comments:

  1. Gypsy, you may have ordered the wrong one. If you paid more than $89. Mine is just a reader, I can order books from mine once it is set up to use your internet. I am on my second one the other one finally wouldn't work anymore it was so old but they gave me tradin value for it so my new one only was about $35. I love it and would buy another one if this one went bad I hope it lasts as long as my last one. Enjoy your reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget what I paid for this, but I'm sure it wasn't more than $89. I'll see how it works for me. I really want simplicity in my life, but the older I get the more I realize that simplicity isn't what I remember it to be. Oh, for the good old days!

      Delete
  2. I have a kindle fire but the only thing I use it for is a reader. I just never let it hook up to the internet except to download or delete books from my library. I got this when my Nook gave up also.

    It takes a couple of days to recoup from a strenuous day so be patient. 🤣 (which is hard). The garden is coming along so nicely. Fresh peas already!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who wants a reader to just be a reader. My kids are on their phones constantly, and use them for every possible thing they can. My daughter keeps her shopping list on her phone and refers to it when we go to Costco. I love writing mine on a piece of notebook paper, the back of an envelope, etc. What are people going to do the day technology fails, and I think it will definitely fail eventually.

      Delete
    2. I'm curious as to which one you like better - the Nook or the Kindle.

      Delete
  3. I can sure relate to these technological devices. I called my childhood friend today of 75 years and we mentioned that when we were kids flying kites, shooting out BB guns and doing child things it would never have crossed our minds we would be talking on a cordless phone from 1800 miles apart. Carol has a Kindle and she loves hers because it lights from the back and makes reading easy for her. You can also select the size of the font's so it makes it easier to read. I hope you end up liking yours as much as Carol likes hers. Me - I only use my laptop and my cell phone less than 10 minutes a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 minutes a day is really fantastic. I guess because Iive with just my dog to connect with, I enjoy the computer and all the people I can talk to, read about, etc. I definitely need to increase the font size on the Kindle, and will really love the ability to do with.

      Delete
  4. I am glad to hear that your garden is doing so well and maybe a little envious that your gardener came to mow your yard.

    After how much you walked yesterday it is no wonder you are both tired.

    I agree that technology is going to have a fail and probably sooner than we think. I have never relied on technology either and very glad I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rely on my computer way to much, but it keeps me in touch with the world and what's going on in it. So it will be difficult for me to do without it if there is a problem with the grid.

      Delete