Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Finish unpacking!

I moved into my duplex about 8 months ago, and would you believe that I have not yet completely unpacked all the boxes.  I've looked in at the contents of some of them to see what kinds of items they contain, but what I really need to do is to finish the unpacking and weeding out of things I no longer need.  That is easier said than done, as any of you who are pack rats such as I am will agree.   To be truthful, I'm sure I moved at least a couple of boxes that had not been unpacked after my move into the mobile home years ago!

I know there are a lot of my readers who live and travel in RV's, as I once did, and have to keep the number of unnecessary items to a minimum.  So I went from being a pack rat years ago, to a fairly well organized RVer also years ago, to being a complete slob in my current life.

I have never minded too much being a complete slob, but as a person ages they start to think of what will happen when their time comes to an end, and who will have to deal with their belongings.  I can see my 4 kids holding things up and exclaiming, "What in the hell was she ever going to do with this???"

Oh well, I'll think about it tomorrow, or maybe next week.  I really need to get things organized so I can get down to something fun - I recently purchased two jigsaw puzzles of 1000 pieces each, and I'm anxious to get started on one of them.  It's going to be a challenge to keep Rocky from chewing the inevitable puzzle pieces that fall on the floor.  I was always an excellent puzzle worker, but with my deteriorating eyesight it will take me a bit more time to complete a 1000 piece puzzle.  I'll try to post photos of my progress, and I sure hope I can make some progress!

I am expecting to have a new dishwasher installed during the coming days.  I'm also going to be visited by the man who supposedly "cleaned" the chimney.  It really didn't need cleaning at all; the first thing the cleaner told me was that  it was in very good condition.  However, since he "cleaned" it, I have experienced smoke pouring out into the room after the log has been burning about 3 hours or more.  So you can understand how I get a little testy when someone asks me if I opened the vent.  If I didn't open it, it would certainly not take 3 hours to start smoking!  Unfortunately I don't have much confidence that the same cleaner is going to be able to fix the problem. 

I just have to share this with someone.  It is an excerpt from an obituary posted in the Sunday paper today:

The obit reads (in part):  "Our beloved sister, daughter, aunt, and friend, Syd, was born Nov. .., 19.., and passed away suddenly on Dec, .., 2019.  She had always planned to pass away one day, peacefully in the arms of Tom Selleck, but as we all know, "sh*t happens".
This obit made my day and I have been smiling ever since.  Rest in peace, Syd.



14 comments:

  1. I love that obit. Had to share it with Jim. My problem is I get overloaded with paperwork. I dont have much stuff but paper multiplies over and over. Jim has all the stuff. I keep nagging him about cleaning it out but the nagging isn't working. Hope the chimney guy figures out what is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am overloaded with stuff as well as paperwork, and I don't have a "Jim" to take the hit for half of it! :-)))

      Delete
  2. That is a GREAT obit... humorous to the end....
    i have LOTS of stuff/clothes too.... i like my stuff, i am keeping my stuff. like to sit and look at my stuff, play with it, use it, enjoy it. when someone else is going thru it, i won't be here and won't care one way or the other. i know some things will be a puzzlement... they will remember me and how i really liked my stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure all my stuff will still be here long after I'm gone.

      Delete
  3. Wow, time flies I still remember when you were hesitant about moving. I too am a pack rat, it runs in the family. When I moved from my condo to my house it took me two years to unpack all my boxes.

    I can never find anything as my parents house is small and I had to bring so many boxes down when they broke into my house in Houston. I need a shed as it is clear at least to me that I wont be getting rid of any of my stuff in particular my camping gear.

    The person who wrote the obit must have a good sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the deceased probably had a good sense of humor herself!

      I have given most of my camping gear to my kids, and then went out and bought more for myself! I know I probably won't ever go camping again. And I will never unpack all my stuff!

      Delete
  4. I like Loree's response. As you know I started packing up and donating and selling some of my stuff, then ran out of boxes and then the holidays came. Well I have plenty of boxes from Chritmas ordering and have started again. But I like too like my stuff and it's hard. So I know what your going through.
    Love the obit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know myself well enough that I'm sure someone else will eventually have to get rid of my stuff! I have a couple of large bags of clothing I want to donate, and it's been sitting here since I moved in. Without a car it's difficult to take it anywhere, and I forget when I'm going somewhere with one of my kids to ask them to help me out.

      Delete
    2. Some donation centers will pick up. I donate to Big Brothers Big Sisters when I have a load I call and they let me know when they will be in the area. Just have to put a sign on the pile that has their name on it and they take it all.

      Delete
  5. This evening I saw two funny obituaries on MSN and thought of your post.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/late-journalist-pens-his-own-amazing-and-hilarious-obituary-eat-your-fruits-and-vegetables/ar-BBYQlh4?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe this will become more prevalent and is probably a better way to look at death than how it is normally approached. I'm not clever enough to write my own obit, but I hope whoever does will write it in a light-hearted manner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year a local lady died of cancer she was young I think in her late 30's early 40's...she wrote her own obituary and while not humorous it was different and written from her perspective.

      My parents decided when they were both young and vital that they did not want an obituary and I have decided the same.

      Delete
    2. I sort of agree with you. I have lived in so many different cities in the world and in some of them I didn't really make a lot of friends. Sacramento is one such city - I have 3 of my 4 kids here, but the people I count as friends are in many other cities in the U.S.

      Delete
  7. While moving around in the military, we sometimes had boxes unopened for years:)

    ReplyDelete