Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, March 16, 2018

Weird weather !

The weather today has been crazy.  I've tried to take photos but my camera really needs repair -- the cover to the battery compartment won't stay closed tightly enough for the batteries to make contact, so while I'm holding and trying to focus the camera I also have to hold the batteries in place!

First thing I noticed were the variations in clouds.  (Click on a picture to enlarge it.)



In the first picture there are several clouds that are very dark, and in the second picture I got some white fluffy ones.  The dark clouds obviously have moisture in them, but why are they so dark when rain is colorless?







I heard rocks pelting the house and street and looked out to find sleet covering everything.  Again, it was difficult to get a decent picture while trying to hold the batteries in the camera.  Everything was covered with sleet, including the porch and steps.   I'm sorry about the 2nd photo.  All I can think is that the sun was shining very brightly during this downpour of sleet, and caused the distortion in the second picture.

I went outside earlier to try to get a few pictures of the backyard that I want  to fix up, taking out the rocks and putting in a lawn, plus planting some small fruit trees along the fence.    I hadn't gotten very far until my neighbor next door spotted me and shot out the door to talk.  There was no taking pictures after that and I would still be there if another neighbor hadn't walked up and wanted to tell him something.  He is so nice and wants to trim some of the weeds & grass in the yard for me, and I couldn't get into the conversation to tell him that my son is going to do it.  I think he wants to help me because everytime one of the boys is here to trim the bushes or whatever, they also do some of his.  He's a good soul and in terrible health.  I can't count the number of times the EMT's have come to his assistance.

Sorry about the quality of the photos.  I'm going to try to find a place to get my camera fixed - I'd buy a new one but none of them has a viewfinder these days, and I can't see the screen when I'm holding the camera at arm's length.  

Is this really the end of the week?  It is scary to think of how much faster time goes by the older one gets.  I hope everyone has a fun weekend.  I think my kids are getting together at Joe's to celebrate St. Patrick's Day but I probably won't go.  I would want to leave way before everyone else does so someone would have to leave the party to drive me home.  I'll just remember how much I used to enjoy the holiday!

12 comments:

  1. I would probably use duct tape to “fix” the camera. Weather in Florida has also been pretty crazy. Way cooler than normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought of taping it, but I access the memory card in the battery compartment and it would be a hassle always having to remove the tape.

      I've been reading about your Florida weather. I just hope we don't have to pay for this cool weather by having a terribly hot summer.

      Delete
  2. In your first picture, it appears as though the sun is behind those clouds. Clouds are made up of water droplets and ice crystals. Thin clouds allow the sunlight to penetrate though the clouds illuminating the other side so it appears whiter, thick clouds block the light, so the bottom of them are darker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are definitely sun spots in your second picture. Hail in the sunshine. Now that’s different. I had that problem with the battery door and just taped it shut and untaped it and retaped it over and over. Worked fine. It is nearly impossible to find a camera with a view finder any more. Makes me so mad. I’d like to have a little pocket camera but all they have are those LCD screens and I don’t believe it’s just me or my age that makes them impossible to see through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, it's difficult to hold the camera steady with your arms stretched out. It didn't take camera makers long to completely switch away from the view finder even though I'm sure a lot of folks prefer them.

      Delete
  4. I am using my view finder less and less now. The LCD screen is my preferred use for taking pictures now. The thing that made it work for me was using the correct lens in my trifocal glasses to focus on the screen when I have my arms close to my body. Normally my elbows are parked on my side along the ribs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried different ways of holding and steadying the camera, but still get the best composition when I look through a viewfinder. Actually, I don't do any photography well these days as my vision is deteriorating rapidly.

      Delete
  5. Sleet on a sunny day, had not seen that before. I need to buy a new camera but I just do not know what model would be most useful and budget friendly to get. I do not know how people take pictures with their cellphones, I just prefer a camera.

    I have been watching on TV all the events and celebrations in observance of St. Patrick's Day taking place in San Antonio, Texas. I am glad I was able to attend when I was younger. Like yourself my night vision leaves a lot to be desired and I would have to have someone else do the driving and in my case there is nobody else :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an amazing day, weatherwise. I was shocked to hear the hail striking everything around me.

      I figure I did enough celebrating of Patrick's Day in the past that I didn't want to do it any more. I drank one beer in the afternoon around 4:00 and that was it. I had fun though

      Delete
  6. I don't like the cameras without view finders either so I buy a used camera from Ebay. I've had 2 now and I love them. Easy to use and cheap! Kodak Easy Share DX4330. Here's a link to one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-EasyShare-DX4330-3-1MP-Digital-Camera-3x-Optical-Zoom-Silver/112877941437?epid=100132263&hash=item1a480cb2bd:g:w4IAAOSwdytarzAS. It lasts a long time, but I drop mine so then I just get another one! Hope you like it! Ann M

    ReplyDelete