Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, September 25, 2017

I'll Just Make My Own

I'm talking about seasoned salt.  I'm running out of it so I looked at all the offerings in the grocery this morning.  Every last one of them contain garlic.  I have detested garlic ever since an incident in my late teens, and usually avoid it if I can.  I stood there in the grocery aisle and wrote down the ingredients, and I'm looking forward to experimenting with making my own - without garlic!   Actually, the stuff I'm running out of is Santa Maria style seasoned salt, and it does contain garlic!

The gorgeous weather we've been having is going to warm up now and I'm not looking forward to temps in the 90's again, but I'll survive with my swamp cooler.  It's been so nice to not have the cooler or even a fan running most of the day.

I checked the skies a couple of times during the night and it seems that Orion is back the way I thought he belonged - I guess I've never paid much attention to his orientation.  With no moonlight, the stars are even more brilliant than usual!  I used to be able to identify the major stars in the sky where I lived at the time (except for Ireland - with the Milky Way so extremely visible out in the countryside it was hard to focus on one star).   I know Betelgeuse is one of the stars in Orion but can't remember which one it is.  I always chuckle when I say that name - years ago my kids were watching a movie called "Beetle Juice" on tv; I could hear the dialogue and once in a while looked at the TV screen.  It was absolutely the dumbest excuse for a movie that I've ever seen.  Maybe if I watched at it again  I might laugh.

It is such a relief to not have anything on my calendar that I must do.  I will try to walk at the gym every day that I can, but other than that I can just do what I feel like doing.    I wish you all the luxury of only doing what you feel like doing today!

12 comments:

  1. I'm just the opposite, I love garlic and put tons of it in nearly everything I cook. Although I like stopping back in our hometown where everything is familiar, it is hard for me to adjust to having to keep appointments with medical people and even friends who all seem to want to "have lunch". Seems every day I have to plan around one appointment or another. I'll be glad to get out of here and back out on the road where I wake up in the morning with nothing at all planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a luxurious feeling to wake up and have nothing planned. It can also get lonely, so enjoy those lunches!

      Delete
  2. And I love garlic. I try not to use a whole lot so I don't stink though. I don't know one star from another but they sure are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want anything to do with garlic, although I can eat things that have it if it isn't too strong.

      Delete
  3. Betelgeuse upper left, Rigel lower right, Sirius (dog star) following along behind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Craig. I've written these names down and their locations, and will keep it on the table by my bed so I can tell what I'm looking at tonight!

      Delete
  4. I will join some others an say that I love garlic and we buy it by the bag full. But there are other things that many folks love Ithat I do not. That's what makes life and visits to the grocery store interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally. There are many food likes and dislikes that go back to my childhood, although I've expanded greatly since then. I don't think my Dad would have liked garlic, so my mom probably never used it in cooking when I was growing up.

      Delete
  5. I love garlic mainly because of all the benefits derived from eating it, in my case lowers cholesterol and high blood pleasure. However, I can understand not everyone is going to enjoy what I like. I had to give up seasoned salt and any kind of salt because of my HBP though when eating out salt is difficult to eliminate from ones diet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I wish you all the luxury of only doing what you feel like doing today!"

    Thank you Gypsy, that is the nicest thing anyone has said to me lately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://www.google.com/search?q=homemade+seasoned+salt+recipe+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

    These results from a Google search for homemade seasoned salt should tickle your fancy. Just leave out the garlic, or put in a small amount of it if you want just a "touch" of it.

    That's the beauty of making your own things - you can have them to suit your needs perfectly!

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    •~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

    PS: I hate garlic, too!

    ReplyDelete