Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Safe again

I don't think I wrote about it but maybe I did, but my front sliding door wasn't closing correctly for the past several days and I couldn't lock it.  Steve and his helper, Liam, just left after fixing the door and frame, and now I can lock myself in at night.  I wasn't really too worried but I knew I should get it fixed soon.  When my head hits the pillow I'm usually "out" within a few minutes, so I didn't spend a whole lot of time worrying about my safety.

Art class went well last night and everyone was in a happy mood.  I couldn't be talked into going to City Hall next week - my career was spent working for government and I want nothing more to do with it, from city hall to the Washington headquarters of federal agencies.   The following week is Jeannie's birthday, so I'm taking two weeks off, and will use one of the "credits" to take Ara to a class with me - if she wants to go.

I ended up doing sort of a hodge-podge stained glass effect in the upper part of the lemon picture; I need to figure out what to do in the same part of the banana pic - but haven't come up with anything as yet.  Also today I tried a still life with vegetables and I'm not happy with it, even though the preliminary drawing looks almost perfect (to me).

Click to enlarge pictures.  The second shows the set up of the vegetables, and I won't show the painting until I finish it.











I finally went back to the gym this morning and I feel so much better for it.  I've also done a few small jobs around the house and trying to not sit so much.

Jeannie & Ara spent yesterday in Cincinnati visiting relatives, eating out at favorite old places, and going to the cemetery to pay their respects.  They must have had no trouble finding my mom and dad, as well as Jeannie's dad (he's right behind my dad), but didn't know where Bill's parents' graves were.  I was sorry as I could have told them and they were in sight of where those graves.   There is a plot for me there and I have already made my kids swear to not put me there.   I'm signed up for donation to Science Care, but you never know how those things will go and maybe they have enough old women when I pass on and don't need me!  In that case I'd like my ashes scattered in the Smoky Mountains, but at that point I won't care and my kids can do whatever is convenient for them!

They also drove by our house in Cincinnati, the church &b school, and got a beautiful shot of Cincinnati at night from their aunt's balcony (Bill's sister).  


There was a lot I didn't recognize the last time I was there, which was when we buried Bill in March of 2007.   The sign of old age is that I prefer the old city that I lived and worked in.   I have absolutely no desire to go back npw.

I've been drawing all the vegetables in my fridge and I had better think about cooking them now.   I was going to have baked cod with the veggies, but I think I'll skip the cod and eat double the veg!  Right, gypsy, that's the way to gain weight!  I am afraid to get on the scale lately as I don't like what it tells me.

12 comments:

  1. LOL at your drawing your vegetables rather than cooking them. Love it and I love your lemons with the neat background. Veggies make you gain weight? Really? I haven't been back to where I was born and raised in Ohio in ages and have absolutely no desire ever to go. I know my grandmother and my mom aren't in those graves so no sense in going there to "see" them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, eating only veggies makes me lose weight, which I don't want to do! Once my dad died, Cincinnati was never the same for me. Then my mom moved to CA, and most of my sibs moved away as well. My marriage was falling apart and the memories of the last few years there don't make me want to go back.

      Delete
  2. Like how you finished your lemons. It seems to have toned down the blue a little. Are you going to do something similar to the bananas?

    I don't feel much connection to the little town I was raised in either. I graduated high school and move on. After Mom and Dad passed away there has been even less reason be in town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to finish the bananas in a similar fashion, but not exactly the same. So far I haven't figured out a way to do it. I'm open to suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your art is coming along nicely. And the picture of the city is really gorgeous.
    I was having trouble with my front and back doors not wanting to close. Some mentioned getting the trailer leveled. What difference that made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just imagine that is what's wrong with my entire house. Nothing closes right and I'm sure it's never been leveled in all the years it's been here.

      Delete
  5. I know you live in a secure place but it would have worried me to death to not be able to lock the sliding doors. I am a very light sleeper and constantly wake up when Pedrito or the two other strays start barking but it gives me piece of mind to know they are looking after us.

    That is a beautiful picture of Cincinnati. Your art pictures are also great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When there isn't anything you can do about a situation, it doesn't help to lie awake and worry about it. I really don't like sliding doors and would rather have the entire thing rebuilt and french doors installed. If I wanted to spend that kind of money there are many more projects ahead of the doors though.

      Delete
  6. Don't worry about your broken lock. Locks only keep the honest people out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that makes me feel better to know! I would like to be able to secure the house at night because that is the smart thing tok do, but if I can't do it I won't lose any sleep over it!

      Delete
  7. I like your lemons..shows your creativity... keep up the originality...We lived in West Chester for a time outside Cincinnati and what we miss is the Cincinnati Zoo, it was such a neat place. We also loved Cincinnati chili and found the packets where we can take it with us but doesn't taste quite the same as Skyline used to make. Also miss Montgomery Ribs...yummmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment on the lemons - I still don't know how I feel about the "stained glass look" above the lemons, but that's the way it is going to stay.

      My daughter & granddaughter had dinner at Skyline Chili. None of us can visit Cincinnati without a stop there. I agree, the canned or packets of seasoning are close but just not the same. The longer you are away from the real thing the better the packets are!

      Delete