Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Painting class

I wasn't really feeling up to par this evening and didn't get very far with fixing a painting I had started.  Of course the instructor doesn't want me to just fix the mistakes I want to do, but to overhaul the entire thing.  This isn't going to hang in the National Gallery or anything like that and I don't like it for several reasons and would prefer to just toss it and paint something else.  I'm feeling kind of low right now and it probably hasn't much to do with the painting but just how I've been all day.

I went to Costco this morning and spent a lot of money but didn't actually end up with many items.  I replaced my supply of organic chicken breasts at a shocking price, but also bought a box with two small meat loaves which I think are precooked and just need heating.   I have never made a satisfactory meat loaf in my life, and you'd think that it should be an easy meal to fix and how can you ruin it.  I don't ruin it exactly but it never tastes like meat loaf should, in my opinion, so I'm hoping this one will be good.

Other than doing a load of laundry and taking a nap, I can't really account for the hours in my day.  

My girls left Yellowstone and spent an overnight in Helena, MT.  They draw closer to the west coast every day, and will be home to celebrate Hallowe'en, which I always called a State holiday in California.  My kids went trick or treating in Cincinnati, accompanied by their dads who knew the places to stop long enough to drink a beer and let the kids eat some of their candy - our house was always high on the list.  But when I moved to CA I couldn't believe how it was almost more of a holiday for adults than for kids.  It hasn't really changed much.   As I wrote previously, I never got into the holiday and it seems like so much hype for 2 months prior to the end of October.   I'll almost be glad when Michaels starts advertising their Santa Claus decorations!

No photos to post tonight - I am just so tired and listless.  We have a few days of rain coming up beginning tomorrow, and looking at the 15 day forecast it seems we will stay in the mid-60's.  I'm ready for it.

7 comments:

  1. You aren't the only one that can't make a decent meatloaf. Hubby made ours, plus his Sloppy Joes always tasted better than mine. So if he and the kids wanted either item he cooked it.

    Maybe you should practice what quilters and knitters do if they aren't feeling the 'love' anymore, set the painting aside and move on to something else. Then return to it later and if you aren't still feeling the 'love' get out the gesso and paint it white and start over with something else.

    I hope you get to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have gesso, and maybe that is what I should do. I'm not going back to the class until the middle of Nov. so I would have time to do it all over again. Of course I'll have to get new vegetables as I ate the models!

      Delete
  2. My secret ingredient in my meatloaf is ketchup. A little in the loaf and mix up ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and some brown sugar together and ladle on top. Come to think of it, I used the Worcestershire sauce in the loaf as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying to make a decent meatloaf for over 45 years and nothing has worked. I won't try it again at this point in my life, so I'm hoping I like Costco's brand. I have tried it exactly as others have sworn it's a foolproof recipe, but mine just never turns out right! The meatloaf gods just don't like me.

      Delete
  3. I like meatloaf and as far as I am concerned, it is impossible to ruin. Of course I will eat anything (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My meatloaf has always been good enough to eat, but it just isn't the meatloaf like most others make. I have tried every recipe I've come across, but it must be a thing with me that I can't do it. (Maybe it's like my art painting - I'm never satisfied or good enough, haha)

      Delete
  4. Never heard of someone who could follow a recipe exactly and have the result turn out not to taste like the original. Maybe it was the meat you were using or the different bread crumbs don't know what else it could be. I love meatloaf too and haven't had it in years.

    ReplyDelete