Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Art Class



Autie and I attended our art class last night, a 2 hour class with no formal break.  We were both psyched up for it, although you get what you pay for and this class was free.  The instructor discussed the color wheel, we learned a lot about color and how to mix them to get various other colors.  I've decided I'm always going to buy the paints in the shades I want so I won't have to mix them!  I'm just lazy.  It was actually fun with only about  6 students so we could ask questions whenever we felt like it and the atmosphere was informal.  The info on the class said brushstrokes would be discussed but they weren't, and I would like to know more about that.  All in good time.

I'm looking forward to my upcoming classes on Sep. 7.  I wish I could take Autie with me to at least one of them - she is fun to be with - but she will have to figure out her school, sports, scouts, etc. schedule for the coming weeks.  

I noticed the problem with my eyes when trying to paint.  When we started out making the "wheel", we drew diagonal lines on the canvas, from one corner to the opposite bottom corner.   On one of them I was off nearly 1/4 of an inch on the bottom corner.  When I painted the sections of the wheel I had to turn the canvas so I was looking at the section straight on, rather than at the top or one of the sides of the canvas.  I think (hope) I will learn to compensate in future efforts, but it is so frustrating.  

My lovely granddaughter, Ara (in PA) sent me a gorgeous red Art Cargo Bag to transport all my equipment and supplies to class or wherever I want to paint.  It has many compartments and places to hold brushes and other supplies.  The bright red is so "my color", and I love it.  I'll take a picture of it and probably include it with the next post.  I'm debating going to the gym right now.

Back from the gym, I found another box from Ara on my porch.  It is a large art portfolio, for carrying art but not necessarily the brushes, palette, etc.

 Joe and the two girls got here about the same time I was arriving from the gym.  He did some caulking around the top of the tile and around the  window.   There is still work to be done but I need to get some molding for the floor around the perimeter of the room plus a couple of other spots.  Then will come the painting job, and i'm going to have to turn it over to   someone with good eyes! 

I think I will go ahead and publish this as I have a couple of errands to run right now.

11 comments:

  1. I love to paint, but haven't done any for quite a spell. I always mix my own colors, that is the only way to get the subtle hues that I want. I use a paper plate as an pallet. Works for me. Gee, I am getting the itch to paint again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took 2 paper plates each for Autie and me to art class, but I thought I would see what Michael's has to offer and for how much.

      Maybe you should get your art supplies out and paint a picture or two!

      Delete
    2. I have hounded DD for a couple of years now and he just will not paint and publish. Good luck on getting him busy with the brushes.

      Delete
    3. Painting seems to be a good way to keep the mind working in ways you might not notice. I think everyone should try it, and when you have shown a bit of talent in the past then there is no excuse. Many of us bloggers do a lot of sitting around and who knows what creativity might be lurking there. Diz, you have painted in the past and I think it would be a great time to do it again!

      Delete
  2. I was sure glad the kids painted the house for us. We wouldn't have survived it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sure glad the kids painted the house for us. We wouldn't have survived it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't paint any longer either - maybe little stuff. I still have some things in my kitchen that I didn't finish when I was painting everything in the house a few years back.

      I think it's much harder to do when you get older, especially holding a brush or roller over your head.

      Delete
  4. Your eye problems must be very frustrating for you. I admire you for figuring out how to work around it. My dad has MD and I have the beginnings of it they tell me. I'm sure not looking forward to it. What a WONDERFUL granddaughter you have to send you the wonderful bag and portfolio. She must be an artist to know how handy those will be. Looking forward to seeing the bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ara is a very good artist, in fact, and you're right in that she sent me the exact things I need.

      If you have the beginnings of MD I would suggest you start taking a product with lots of lutein and zeaxanthin, etc. I ordered a bottle of 180 capsules from HSN and they are quite expensive since you take 2 a day. I noticed a while back that Costco has a similar product for much less, although I thought I'd try the HSN product (Ultimate Eye Support) and see what 3 months of taking it will do. I think if it works at all it will probably take 6 months to a year to notice a difference. It is so frustrating and I wasn't drawing the diagonals freehand - I used another framed canvas as a guide and just didn't set one end at the exact corner. Maybe it's just lack of attention to what I'm doing.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a wonderful first class and your gifts will carry you through the experience what fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What nice gifts Ara sent you. You have a very thoughtful granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete