Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Community Day

This was the big day for the community - I attended it two or three years ago and marched with my grandson's group so I didn't see the first part of the parade.  Today I had a prime spot and saw everything, from the honor guard to the last sports team.  In between were lots of fire equipment, much of it volunteer companies, local businesses, schools, organizations including the Sons of Italy (of course--this is New York after all), a Scottish group, and many many more.

After the parade everyone goes to the park where there are some attractions for the kids, lots of tents for the adults to wander around, and much more.  I made a tour down two rows of tents but it was all local business and organization- sponsored, so I found a nice spot under a big shade tree and set up my chair.  I people-watched for the rest of the afternoon.

I have never seen so many good dogs in one place as today.  From the big shepherds and labs, to the medium sized dogs, to the little ones who are usually yappy.  They were all very well behaved and there was no barking or yapping.  I looked up at one point and saw two animals that were either alpacas or llamas - I think they were alpacas, but since I've heard that llamas spit I never go near anything that looks remotely like one.

The weather was just gorgeous, probably in the low to mid-eighties, with a nice breeze all day.  I was content to just sit at the park and watch the world go by.  Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I didn't get even one photo.

So in looking at the dogs, I feel sure I'd like a lab or german shepherd male.  The only problem with the shepherd is whether I could handle a male of the breed - I don't deal with dogs with a too-firm hand but try a firm voice and lots of love and kindness.

7 comments:

  1. I hope you find the perfect dog for you and one that don't spit like the llamas do. . . (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful day. I love towns that have those kinds of events. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to an event like that in years. sounds like well behaved dogs which mean they have been well trained.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Shepherds....very smart....easily trained...and so loyal....this might be the breed for you....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very nice and actually relaxing day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your comments on 'getting another dog'.
    I know you would love reading a blogger's posts on her experience
    adopting two dogs. It's truly a heartwarming story.
    Her blog site is, fortheloveofahouse.blogspot.com , scroll down to Aug 19 post.
    What a rewarding read!

    ReplyDelete