Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

I'm cool again!

My swamp cooler hasn't been working - the fan blows air out but it certainly isn't cool.  Steve came by today  and got on the roof, and determined that the tube that carries water to the tray with four pads in it, where the fan blows air across the pads and cools it, was clogged with mold and debris.  He took it off and threw it down to me, and I ran water from the garden hose to clear it out.  We finally got the unit working and it's almost like having air conditioning!  I ordered new pads which should be delivered this week, and Steve will do a permanent fix  on a couple of other pieces in the cooler as well.  I just can't believe the difference, and I wouldn't be surprised if this unit has not been serviced for a long, long time.

Jeannie and Autumn made their first visit to the chiropractor, Dr. G., yesterday, and really like him.  She has dental surgery tomorrow and will start the treatment with Dr. G. after she heals enough to be able to drive to his office.  I hope her experience is as good as mine is, as I can see improvements each time I get an adjustment.  I think I mentioned that there was a big difference in the length of my legs, and the Dr. thinks this difference has been greatly reduced in just a few visits.  They are caused by a spine that has twists and kinks that shouldn't be there, so I'm thrilled to get it straightened a bit at a time and watch my problems go away.

I should mention that there is a difference in chiropractors, and the ones who are "corrective chiropractors" actually work to correct the root cause of problems, while some just take your money and crack a few bones.  You might feel better temporarily but your problem hasn't been corrected any more than an MD who gives you medications to mask your symptoms but not cure the basic problems.

I like my new bathroom scale but don't like the numbers I'm seeing.  You may remember the struggle I had just gaining back to my weight before surgery, plus an additional 10+ pounds.  Well, I've lost 8 or 9 of the pounds I put on, and it really bums me out.  I'm not going to stress about gaining it back because I am so uncomfortable trying to eat enough calories to add weight.  I will just eat what fills me up and then stop, as I always have.  I really loved those extra pounds though.  When I bought a dress to wear to Joshua's First Communion, I looked at myself in the dressing room mirror, turned sideways and thought "This dress makes my butt look big!"  It was fun to even think it.

My living room is filled with bags of clothing and household items that I must have out front by 8 am for pickup by Vietnam Veterans of America.  I don't know much about the organization, but I hope the majority of funds they raise actually goes to help Vietnam vets, who have a special place in my heart.  I was too young to remember WW II, but Vietnam was the war of my generation.  Most of the donated items are from Jeannie & Donald.  Donald's dad survived 3 tours of duty in V.N., and one of my brothers was at Bien Hoa, where most of his buddies were killed.

Tomorrow morning will be stressful as I have to get all these bags out to the front curb, and then leave for Jeannie's house by 8 am.  Donald will drive her to her dental surgery while I stay at their house so the kids don't have to get up and out so early.  I need to think of some treats I can take them.  Food always works and I have some delicious white grapes that they love!  We've agreed that if Jeannie & Donald don't get back in time I will just take the girls with me to my chiro appointment.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad your son got the cooler running, They need to be given a good cleaning at the end of each season so they run well for years. Some times the water that runs in them has to much calcium or other minerals that clog the spiders or in some cases a large tube depending on the type of cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A guy in my high-school class was killed fighting in Vietnam not long after we graduated. Yes, I remember that war well and I also remember Korea. Remember all those maps with arrows on them showing what was going on in Korea. Am I giving my age away?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evap coolers are simple devices, and don't require expensive equipment to maintain. In most desert areas you can find good repairmen who are not too expensive. Almost a handyman type. You might be able to find a reliable one to service your cooler each spring for less than you think. Parts are not too expensive, except a new motor. Which doesn't happen too often.

    ReplyDelete