Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, January 30, 2015

Yikes! Almost February

The site rent bills were sent out today and I paid mine already.  The month of January was a killer for my utilities - both gas and electric.  I hope better weather lies ahead, and wish today was just the beginning of what is to come.  I think there may be some rain in our forecast, but not enough to do anything about the drought, so we'll be hearing about it all year.

I made a quick trip to Costco this morning and topped off my gas tank while there, at 2.099 a gallon.  I've figured out that Gov. Brown has already added the cap in trade tax, and the price should actually be about $1.97.  

With the walking I'm doing at least 5x a week my legs ache, so today I didn't do the incline or "rolling hills".  I'm so irritated about my blood pressure - the doctor wants me to monitor it and write down the numbers.  I suppose he is right because sometimes the bp is normal, but when the top number goes above 140 I've always been told that isn't good.  Sometimes it is in the 150's and close to 160.  How high is too high?   I hate checking it all the time, but if I don't then what happens if it reaches the 180's or 190's?  I'd never know it until it killed me.  What makes me really upset is that all the internet advice I've ever read is that walking is the best thing seniors can do to keep their blood pressure from being a problem.  Well, how much do I need to walk?   I shouldn't complain so much as I actually enjoy the exercise, but oh, my aching muscular legs!

My granddaughter's (Autumn) girl scout troop had some $$ left over in their treasury, and they agreed to spend it on a couple of hours riding horses.  I'm not sure if I'll go but Jeannie just called to invite me.  It should be fun for a group of 8 yr olds.  I wouldn't mind going riding myself even though I haven't been on a horse in years.  I took riding lessons for several weeks when I lived in Ireland, although I never did like the English style of riding, saddle, etc.  I did pretty well but one time I lost control of the horse or something spooked her, and I held on for dear life but eventually brought her under control.  I'm too old to fall off a horse, but never had another opportunity to ride.   I'm willing to let well enough alone, but they sure are beautiful animals.

I'm getting hungry and think I'll see what I can conjure up for supper.  Good weekend, everybody!


9 comments:

  1. I just had a big bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. . . mmmmmm Goooooood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dizzy I want some too. Love ice cream but sure can't do the calories these days.
    I myself will never buy any of those medical devices. Maybe because I never had high blood pressure to worry about .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing today.....Yikes, almost February. In another short 8 weeks we will likely be on the road somewhere between Arizona & Ontario Canada heading home after yet another great winter season in the great southwest.. Yikes indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to monitor my blood pressure as well but have been slacking off. I really need to get back to it as I quit all my medications a couple of months back.

    I have only gotten on a horse once, my friend's brother took me for a ride. He was big like Walter and I went into a panic and could not even talk...something "odd" for me as I always have something to say!

    I am sure it will be a blast for the girls Scout Troop they are still young enough not to feel fear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Western style saddles are almost impossible to fall off. Trail ride rental horses are all quite well behaved, especially if being used for 8 year olds. I enjoyed my ride last month, but I was on a very big horse because I'm so fat, and my hips were not happy at first. An hour was just about right. Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I'm thrilled it's almost February. Even here in Florida it's been too cold for me. February 2nd is the ancient festival of Imbolc or Candlemas which marks mid winter. We've taken it over, as we did most Earth based festivals, and renamed it Groundhog day. We're half way to Spring Equinox and I'm glad. I'd like to be able to get up and go out to see the sunrise without gloves on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a healthy lifestyle and walk alot but my blood pressure has gradually risen as I have hit the 70's. Out arteries are getting old and inflexible- like the rest of our body LOL!. I now take a small daily dose of HTZ and that keeps it down in acceptable levels. A healthy lifestyle is important but nothing is going to stop out bodies from aging. It just helps us deal with it better I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also think that compulsively checking your blood pressure all the time makes for much higher readings. Its best to pick a time - like when you first get up - and then check it at that same time everyday to get a better gauge of what your actual blood pressure is. Then don't check it again until the next morning.

    ReplyDelete