Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Finally!

I can use my computer again!  I've spent about 3 days trying to update the maps on my old GPS, and dealt with three very helpful techs at Garmin.  I didn't have enough room to load the entire country, so this morning I bought an SD card for the unit and all is well.  I tested it out just now by putting in my son's address in New York, and everything seems ready to go.  The first download was only good as far east as Michigan!

I had an appointment with my opthamologist yesterday and this morning took the prescription for new glasses to Walmart Optical Center.  That is about the only good thing I can find at Walmart, and I'm sure the department is contracted out.  (While there I bought the SD card in W's tech department, where I also got excellent service.)  The glasses I'm replacing are titanium frames - very lightweight but I don't like them.  I love titanium for camping gear, but the glasses were never satisfactory and felt too flimsy, so I'm getting a new pair with plastic frames - a bit heavier but they seem to fit and feel better.   I will probably look like a dork in them, but I'm beyond caring about that.  I hope my kids don't tease me too much about them.

My eyesight continues to get worse, especially in my left eye.  I'm told I have swelling in the back of the eye indicating macular degeneration, and I'm going to have to live with it.   It is fairly tolerable until I try to read something.  I get so irritated with websites that have such a washed out look that I can barely read the print - usually I just don't.   

I need to keep my eye on the clock as I have a dental appointment at 4pm, which means I have to take the antibiotic an hour before.  I lost a filling in one of my molars and it is so uncomfortable.

I haven't yet tried the elliptical I bought from QVC, but Donald assembled it at their house and he and the girls like it.  Arianna says she loves it!  Jeannie tells me she falls off, which is what I'm really afraid will happen to me.  I can't use the elliptical at the gym, although Jeanne has no trouble with that one.   I will probably miss my gym workout and walk on the treadmill this evening, but with getting novocaine for the dental work I can't imagine feeling like doing anything afterwards.

I haven't been able to read many blogs since I've had the computer tied up with the GPS installation, so I have a lot to catch up on.

My son and his family in New York are all at home today although the area they live in didn't get hit hard enough to make a difference.  Sandy works in CT and is working from home today.  It looks like the islands off Massachusetts are getting the worst of the storm so far.  I remember the days when I kind of looked forward to the big snowstorms, although Cincinnati didn't get the worst of them.  I remember Buffalo and how the tv news showed  snow being piled at the sides of the roads, usually measuring 12 ft or more.  The plows kept the streets clean and just piled it all at the sides.  I miss the east at times like this.

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear about your eyes. I hate to hear the words macular degeneration. My eyes are getting worse and worse too. My doctor says it is cataracts but that you have to be nearly blind before your insurance will pay to have them taken off. GREAT! Glad your Garmin is all set to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eyes are so precious to us but sometimes it is what it is. I know a few people who are getting the shots in there eyes for this. I hear it is no fun.

    Happy to hear your GPS is all set for your trip in the spring. I was watching the new tonight to see what tomorrow will look like here and they showed the weather in Maine and other coastal areas how awful. Sure glad I live here now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't miss the snow and cold one bit! I'm getting to be a weather wuss...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last time I went to the ophthalmologist, I did not get good news either. Hope your dental appointment went well.

    Glad to hear that your family did not fair badly in this winter storm. I just could never live in a cold and snowy area. Well I guess I could but I do not think I would like it very much.

    ReplyDelete