Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Getting in shape

Getting in shape for what, I can't say.  I'm loving the treadmill, and rather than overdo it and then not use it consistently, I've been walking 5-10 minutes at a time throughout the day, and averaging about a mile a day.  I plan to raise it now every day and keep track of how I'm doing.  I think I feel better, although it's not translating to working harder!

I had started a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle that I just couldn't do more than get the outline of the puzzle.  My eyes just don't see those tiny variations in color any more.  Jeannie gave me a puzzle I had given to her kids, which is 300 pcs.  I started on it last night, worked on it now and then throughout today, and will no doubt finish it tomorrow.  At least I know where I stand and what my limits are.

So I have all my tomatoes planted and I'm sure I have them too close together.  I hate to dig some of them up - does anyone have suggestions?  Should I or shouldn't I replant them?  Tomorrow I hope to plant marigolds around the perimeter of the beds - that will keep the destructive insects away, I hope.  I think I'm going to plant a couple of squash seeds, and then maybe a couple more in another week.  Keeping Rocky out of the garden is going to be my problem this year - he hasn't harmed anything - just checks it out and leaves his footprints.

And speaking of the boy, I feel so terrible for him.  He wonders why we walk out to the mailbox and then come right back to the house.  Why don't we take walks anymore.   I've been throwing a ball for him to catch which helps him exercise, but it's not like a nice walk through the neighborhood.

This is the second day in a week that I've stayed in pajamas all day long.  There isn't much incentive to get dressed since I'm not going anywhere.

How is everyone else coping?  Is your area under quarantine, and if so, how is that interpreted?  All my good wishes go to the people of New York City and surrounding areas.  It looks pretty certain that we will all eventually be in that same boat!  Take care everyone, and if you have any tips for staying sane while being in virtual isolation, I'd love to hear them.  Thank goodness for the internet that allows us to stay in touch.

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about it but didn't know how to even try to get him on it. I will go to that website now, and hope it will work! Thanks, and I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

      Delete
  2. OMG Judy, I deleted your comment by mistake. Can you please repost it and the links you referred to. Thank you, and I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem!
      https://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Dog-to-Use-a-Treadmill
      https://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Dog-to-Use-a-Treadmill

      Delete
  3. Maybe I missed something but why can't you take walks if you stay 6 feet away from people? I would go crazy if I was stuck inside without my walks right now and I can't imagine how my dogs would handle that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People in my neighborhood are pretty good about maintaining 6 ft distance. I quit walking outside though, when I read that the virus can last up to 3 hours in the air. So I could conceivably catch it from someone who was there a half-hour before me? I don't know if this is true, but I don't want to take the chance at my age.

      Delete
  4. I stay on my own property. I cleaned most of the porch now and washed down the furniture out there it was so filthy I hated going out there. So now the chairs are all nice and clean. Like I said I ride my bike a bit each day or sometimes 2 depends on what I have done that day or have planned. Like today I was exhausted after cleaning outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have my treadmill I don't mind walking and getting my exercise in that way. I just wish I could walk Rocky so he could sniff to his heart's content and see other people and dogs.

      Delete
  5. I am walking at 5 every morning when there is no one else out. I only walk around our park so that probably wouldn't work for you. But I would think you could walk him around the block as long as you stay away from others. Getting him on the treadmill would be a great idea. Other than that I have no suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my reply above - my worry is about how long the virus stays in the air. I read a few days ago that it stays for about 3 hrs.

      Delete
  6. Every morning I take care of a few "chores" in the house, have lunch and then spend the afternoon sewing and working on quilts. I belong to a quilt group and we make/donate quilts to the foster kids in our area, to each new resident at the assisted living at our small local hospital and Quilts of Valor for veterans. So far this year I have donated seven quilts and it gives such a good feeling that you are bringing happiness to someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a beautiful thing to do. My grandmother quilted all her life, but I never got the hang of it. Congrats to you and your group for doing something so positive.

      Delete
  7. Our County is under shelter-at-home orders. Mom's house is small but it sits on a large plot of land so I have to go out and "attempt" to do some yard work daily or it will soon turn into a jungle.

    I have four stray cats that adopted me and each one has a different personality and they drive me crazy in their own separate ways.

    Even though my mother has "banned me" from mentioning her on my blog... which she absolutely hates...I am her sole caregiver so Coronavirus or not nothing has changed in my life as she is my sole priority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evidently your mother doesn't read your blog! You have a lot of responsibility and I think you are doing a great job with all that is on your shoulders. I have never been fond of cats, but I donated to a special no kill shelter that needs pet food. They drew me in by saying they have large dogs that need food, and I'm a sucker for large dogs. Now they are playing the cats-need-food theme. I don't mind but I told them I want the large dogs to get part of my donation. I even offered them a 30# bag of food specifically for large dogs but they won't come out to get it. I feel so sorry for all the pets that are going to be homeless after this virus is over.

      Delete