Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, December 5, 2019

A break in the rain

Today has been a relativcely dry day but there is still water all around.  I think a terrific rain and wind storm is expected tonight and over the weekend, but I'm not sure what parts of Northern California will be affected.

 I put a Duraflame log in the fireplace and am enjoying watching the flames.  I bought a box of 6 logs and this is the third one I've used.  The first two had a very strong chemical smell while burning, but this one doesn't seem to have an odor at all.  I hope the rest of them will be normal.  I enjoy watching the flames even though there is no heat from them.  I've always loved a cozy wood fire but this is easier to start as well as to clean up after.  And I don't have to worry about sparks going up the chimney and flying about.  I bought myself a fireplace set, with a poker, brush, and shovel, so I'm all set.

Rocky has been getting on my nerves lately.  He wanted to go out at about 3am the past two nights, and that totally disrupts my sleep and it's hard to get back to sleep.  When he jumps down from the bed I have to wake up and be aware of what he's doing as he still chews things, including my comforter which is now missing probably a quarter of its stuffing.

I don't know what to do about a Christmas tree.  Last year Jeannie decided I needed a tree, after a number of years of no longer putting one up at Christmas.  She bought me a very tiny tree - probably about 10-12" high, with a strand of lights on it.  I planned to use that this year but am wondering if I should just go ahead and get a small live tree.  Because of the weather the past few years the trees, both cut and living, are not the same quality as in years past, but I might break down and buy a small cut tree.  Then I have to spend money on lights and ornaments, because I will be having everyone at my house for the Christmas gift exchange on the 25th.  Life sure doesn't get any easier over the years.

I hope you are all enjoying December.  There is a lot of anticipation and joy associated with the holidays - I just don't feel it any more.

 

8 comments:

  1. I don't do live trees because of the mess. I used to have a really pretty fake one but it was so old that it made a big mess like a real tree. I have been down sizing for a few years now and this year I bought a 3ft that fit on the end table. Wonder how Rocky would re act to a real tree.
    I hope the rain is helping the wild fires. I haven't seen anything about them on the news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always had a real tree and probably will never get anything else. The aroma of a pine tree can't be reproduced by an artificial tree in my estimation. But I haven't had any tree at all for the past few Christmases. I think I will have to keep any tree I get on a raised surface because Rocky would no doubt ruin it and/or pull it over on himself! I've had real trees all my life and don't remember there being much of a mess with them. I tried to not leave them up long enough for all the needles to fall off, and I keep my house cool enough i think I'd have a couple of weeks at least.

    I think the rain will insure there will be a lot of growth during the coming year, which will dry out and be tinder for the next year's fire season. You just can't win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a small fake tree that sits on a table behind the couch. We had to put some books on the table to get it up high enuf. We really don't do much. But I have to tell you I'm sure glad it's you and not me with all those people. We dont even go to the clubhouse to eat cause there are just too many people and I can't deal with it.

    Rocky Joe sleeps with us and when he has a restless night, so do I. Jim sleeps through it but not me. Then Skittlez is up between 4:30 and 5 every morning so I'm up with her. I'm like you. Once I'm awake it's almost impossible to go back to sleep.

    Arizona is in the same boat. We've had so much rain this fall (that should have happened last summer) that everything is already turning green. Gotta worry about fires next summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After Christmas is over with, I'm not going to have crowds in my house for a while. I also would like to be a little more sociable in the coming year. Not sure how I'm going to accomplish both!

      Delete
  4. I was in So Cal last week and drove home sunday... thru Sacramento was horrid rain!!!! could not see lines in road, just followed car in front and the little dents in the road!!! Just poured!!! BUT roads were bare over Mt Shasta and thank my lucky stars for that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you made it safely. I am to the point where I hate the thought of traveling across town!

      Delete
  5. Since my wife Ruth passed away, there will be holiday celebration at my house. Although my son and his wife probably have other plans for me. I did enjoy Thanksgiving at my daughter-in-law's parents home. Good home, good people, and good dogs, can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts will be with you over the holidays. Take care of youself.

      Delete