Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Odds and Ends

I just bought the first Christmas gift of the shopping season - a gift card!  Now I need to get the rest of it done soon.  Try as I may, I can't conjure up much Christmas spirit this year.

I just returned from the 3rd walk today with Rocky.  He had been out with Andrew for the second day, and what an improvement!  He responds much better to "heel", and a few other simple commands.  Yesterday I could hear him barking and whimpering when Andrew took him out of sight of the house, but today he went willingly and quietly.  We've arranged for these walks for the rest of this week, and will just play it by ear next week due to the Christmas holiday.
 
Al asked me about the prong collar and I will try to describe it.  It isn't nearly as bad as it sounds, but maybe there are worse models out there.  It is a collar consisting of rather large chain links.  One end of each link opens out  (two prongs) so there are prongs along the inside of the collar.  They are not small in circumference, and they aren't pointy, and he doesn't seem to be bothered by them at all.  I think he realizes he has to walk in a civilized manner and not be jumping on everyone we meet, nor can he pull my arms out of the sockets.  I wouldn't be able to keep him with the way things were going, and I hope we don't need this collar for long.  Also, he chewed up two really durable nylon collars in two days last week, and that can't continue.  By the way, I checked numerous times on the walk, and when he is walking in a normal fashion, even stopping to smell something on the ground or whatever, the prongs never touch his neck.  I'm sure he couldn't lunge at  someone without feeling it, but they would definitely not pierce or even prick his skin.

As far as stress on his neck, I worry about that as well, but when I have him on his regular collar and leash and he pulls with all his strength to try to get to another person or animal, that certainly can't be good for his neck.   He knows instinctively not to pull with the chain collar and also I can feel a slight tug if he wants to stop to relieve himself, stop to smell the roses or whatever, etc.  We both are doing fine with this system, and I look forward to the time when he doesn't need it.  No doubt many of you thought I was a damn fool to get a dog, and I was, but I did!

While Andrew and Rocky were walking I tried to get as much cleaning done as I could, even moving furniture.  Now I'm plumb wore out and think I need a rest.

Have a good day!

13 comments:

  1. You have to do whatever is necessary for Rocky to figure out he is not running the show or he is an endangerment to himself, as well as everybody around him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the understanding. Everything is going to work out in the long run.

      Delete
  2. I once thought the pinch collars were terrible, but after taking my dog to obedience training I saw the change in different breeds. You have a strong willed boy there and he needs to understand who is the boss. Becki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a long time now I swore I would never use anything but a regular collar. This dog has been taking over the role as leader and I have to reinstate myself as the boss. To my surprise I find that there is nothing cruel in using this collar if it's properly fitted, and Rocky and I are both happier now.

      Delete
  3. I talked to a lady today who also has a lab. When she got him she crate trained him and now that he is older he doesn’t need the crate any longer. Maybe that would be better to stop him from destruction when he is left alone. I hope you will be able to move to the place with a yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the minute I brought him home as a baby puppy, he barked incessantly when he was in the crate with the door shut. I noticed that he would go in and out of the crate on his own but never could deal with the door being shut, so I just didn't bother with it. He barks enough as it is, but the constant barking makes my neighbor comment on it I'm sure he barks when I leave him at home alone as well. I hope he outgrows it. I'm going to look at the duplex with the yard sometime during the week after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lets hope that Andrew can get things straight with Rocky. Seems the collar is doing it's job as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbors have been raving about him for a long time. Wish I had been in contact with him sooner.

      Delete
  6. How did you happen to find Andrew? I wish you the best of luck because I know how much you love Rocky.

    I also do not celebrate Christmas or most other holidays just another regular day for me. So glad it will be over and done with in a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbors have been saying "You should get Andrew to help" for a long time. He showed up at my door on Monday and now I see what they were talking about.

      When I was a kid Christmas was celebrated in a more sane manner. I listened to "Santa" on the radio every evening reading letters from the boys and girls, and dreamed of what I might be getting. Mostly all I got was a doll and replacement of clothes such as underwear. I always wished I got lots of toys but it was always the same! In the 1940's everyone I knew was in the same boat but I had a good childhood in spite of the lack of TV and the things kids take for granted now.

      Delete
  7. Hi, Gypsy. I hope you are all right! Am getting a bit worried. You had not been feeling well. I do hope you are enjoying some family time.
    Maybe Ara is coming? Would appreciate a note. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fine - a little depressed as I usually get during the holidays. I really don't like Christmas at all, but I'll survive it. I'll be going to my daughter's house tomorrow and there will be lots of family. I hope Rocky is ok at home because he would go crazy with all the people to jump up on and the kids all around.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for answering. Glad to know you are doing OK. Have a good time with your kids and grandkids.

      Delete